Chapter 3

They say sins bring us endless agony, but they can also drive us to places where virtuousness cannot

Perhaps somewhere else, nowhere, or everywhere. It was frightening and uncertain, but worth it.

"Magbigay ng kapayapaan sa isa't isa."

I am not a believer, but it doesn't mean I find its concept disdainful.  My parents never embraced religion; they believed it was humanity's coping mechanism for the never-ending mystery of creation.

"Peace be with you," said by the woman who's sitting in front of me.

I smiled genuinely and bowed a little, "Peace be with you."

Above the crowd, there hangs a painting of the Adoration of the Shepherds. It captures the shepherds' awe as they gaze upon the radiant Child of Christ. Although the somber colors don't match the biblical mood, the skillful use of light directs attention to the central figure—the virgin's child.

It had been an absurd idea to join a gathering where everything seemed holy, given my way of moral living. Perhaps, I was curious? Curious about how people still go on and commit sins after cleansing their souls.

Or maybe, I was just plain bored because I have nothing to write about during the day.

"Salamat sa Diyos!" 

I applauded with the believers as they individually sought the Father's blessing

As I walked toward the exit, I received a notification.

Thank you for taking interest in our company! It was challenging to choose among the numerous manuscripts that are qualified to be printed under our name. However, we regret to inform you that, after careful consideration, your work has not been selected to be part of our collections.

We sincerely appreciate your work. We encourage you to pass it again after various improvements. We wish you well in all your succeeding endeavors.

My expression turned stern as I read the message. As I've expected, their qualification requires fame as they required me to post it on a public domain.

I sighed. Being the second son of the formerly known two private doctors in Seoul was without a doubt, prestigious. It had given me wealth way beyond what every human being that lives in the slums dreamed of. As a prodigy, I had met politicians, dignitaries, and other heirs that were born with a golden spoon on their plate. 

Who would have thought that one rebellious move could change it all? That their opinion about me will still matter even if they were dead? That even though those exemplary genes were running through my veins, I've still turned my back on my supposed to be responsibility?

The thought might have bothered other people who have already heard it, some of my colleagues say that I could have published a book without any hinder if I was still the heir. But in the years that I've been on my own, the realization of dwelling on something that is already over is a waste.