xix.

end of year

❏❏❏

JUNE 29th 1976

FOR the last five days of the year, Cat spent her nights with Professor Slughorn for detentions. Since Snape was a Slytherin, the first person he went to about the duck problem was Slughorn. Any other teacher, it would've been his word against hers for who truned him into a duck, but since Slughorn was head of Slytherin, he felt opted to believeing Snape.

"I need you to start scrubbing down all the cauldrons," Slughorn told her. It was a Friday night, but she still had to serve her detentions tonight and Saturday night. Slughorn didn't allow Cat to use magic to clean, so she had to use normal, Muggle cleaning techniques. She grabbed a washcloth and some soap and started scrubbing down the messy cauldrons. Whatever the seventh years did last, went horribly wrong. There was black goop on all the tables and encrusted on the cauldrons. It didn't smell the best either.

By the time she was done, dinner had come and gone and it was past curfew. "Thank you for cleaning those, Catriona. It was a big help."

"It was my pleasure," she said sarcastically. Cat opened the heavy door with aching arms and started for the common room. The corridors were silent, except for the howling wind outside. Coming up on the stairs, the door to her mothers office swung open and Mcgonagall walked out.

"Catriona, just the person I wanted to see," she greeted.

"Hi mum," she said with a smile.

"I saved some food from the feast, thought you might be a bit hungry." Cat followed her mother into her office. On the large brown desk was a plate of chicken and some pumpkin juice. "I wanted to talk to you about something."

"What about?"

"The issue you had with Mr. Snape two days ago, you still havent told me."

"Me and the boys, James, Remus, Sirius, and Peter, were down by the lake after our Transfiguration OWL's. Snape came up, you know none of us like him, and tried to say he was looking for a quiet place. We told him to try the library but he decided to threaten to hex us. Remus disarmed him and James, he levitated him. I know it really isn't allowed but it was quite funny. Anyways, Lily came and stopped James but Snape still had the audacity to call her a you-know-what. I simply gave him what he deserved, to be a duck," Cat ranted.

"That's...quite a story."

"I promise he got what he deserved. Don't punish James, he was only trying to have a little fun. We deserved it after a full day of OWL's," Cat rambled.