xxix

christmas ball

❏❏❏

DECEMBER 16 1976

"I'm telling you, it's a good idea," Sirius said while playing a game of gobstones with Remus.

"Blowing up the Slytherin common room isn't a good idea," Remus countered.

"Maybe they deserve it," Peter said. The five of them, James, Cat, Remus, Sirius, and Peter were all lounging in the common room on a Thursday evening. The common room was uncharacteristically cold. Although it was the middle of December, the common room was always warm. Cat was snuggled up into James' chest and had a blanket over her, yet somehow she was still freezing. Obviously, James noticed and pulled her in closer.

"How are you still cold? The fire is going and you have a huge blanket on," James teased.

"Shut up," Cat laughed. The common room door swung open and Lily came running in. "Lils, hey." Lily ran right past everyone, straight to the dorm room.

"What's wrong with her?" Peter asked. Cat sat up and turned around to look at the stairs Lily just fled up.

"Lily, slow down," Marlene's voice came from the stairway. Lily came running down, pulling Rachel and Marlene with her.

"You alright, Lily?" Remus asked.

"Yeah," she nodded enthusiastically. "I need you all to shut up so I can get this in."

"Alright," Cat said.

"What did I say," Lily snapped. Cat put her hands up and laid back down on James. "So at the prefect meeting - Remus you missed the meeting - I finally, finally, convinced Mcgonagall and Dumbledore, after three years of trying-"

"You didn't!" Marlene exclaimed.

"Is this what you've been on about since third year?" Peter asked.

"I heard about that," Rachel said. "I'm not a very dressy person."

"I, on the other hand, am," Sirius proudly said.

"You and Moony would look good in matching suits," James complimented.

"Um," Cat raised her hand. The other seven looked at her. "Hi, yeah, I haven't been here since third year so can someone fill me in?"

"Lily's been asking-" Remus started.

"Begging," Marlene corrected.

"Begging for a winter ball," Remus finished.

"A ball? Like dresses and music?" Cat asked.

"Yeah, not only that, a masquerade ball," James told her.

"Like in the movie Romeo & Juliet? With the masks and floofy dresses?" Cat excitedly asked, sitting up.

"Yes!" Lily practically yelled. "No one ever references that movie."