xxiii

lily

❏❏❏

SEPTEMBER 14th 1976

JAMES and Cat haven't said anything about their feelings or relationship, if you could call it that, since they last talked about it during the first week they were there. Neither of them made any effort to do anything about it either. The one person who was expressing how they felt about James, was Lily. Apparently Lily believed James had matured over the summer and gotten quite fit. It was as if James and Lily had swapped bodies over the break. "What's got you all smiley?" Marlene asked Lily as she came into the room.

"Hm? Nothing," Lily smiled and shook her head. 

"Come on Lils, something has gotten you chirpier than normal. Tell us," Rachel pleaded.

Lily glanced over to Cat, who was fixing her hair in the mirror of the bathroom with the door open so she could hear the conversation. "Fine, I was just talking to James."

Cat looked out the door at Lily, who was inspecting a Potions book. Marlene looked at Cat, then looked back at Lily and asked, "Since when did 'Potter' become James?"

"And since when did he make you happy?" Rachel added.

"Oh, I don't really remember."

"What were you talking about?" Cat asked, sitting on the edge of her own bed.

"Just some Potions stuff, he asked me a question about it," Lily said, closing the Potions textbook she was reading. "I found it, I'll be back guys." Lily rushed out of the room and back down to the common room.

Cat decided to pull out her own schoolwork and start working, despite it being a Friday night. "What are you doing?" Marlene asked, abruptly shutting Cat's book.

"Starting on my work. What's wrong with that?"

"It is a Friday night," Rachel told her.

"And Miss Evans is trying to steal James from you," Marlene added on.

"Steal James from me? Lily can't steal him if he isn't even mine," Cat reminded her.

"Wait, so you guys aren't together?" Rachel asked.

"Have you seen us doing anything that couples do?"

"Well - no - but we thought you were just hiding it," Marlene said. Cat shook her head and opened her book back up. Once again, Marlene slammed her book shut and grabbed it. "Why aren't you doing anything about this? What happened?"

"Well we talked a few days after we kissed, we kissed again, and now we are back to normal," Cat explained.

"Why don't you go talk to him?" Rachel asked.