xxxiii

a birthday celebration

❏❏❏

FEBRUARY 10th 1977

THE morning of February 10th, Cat's 17th birthday, she was woken up by a loud booming and squealing noises from her room. When she sat up, she saw Rachel, Lily, and Marlene holding Muggle noisemakers. Strung from the bedposts of Marlene and Lily's beds was a sign that said 'HAPPY BIRTHDAY CAT!' it was also charmed to have little dancing figures on it. "Happy birthday!" Marlene exclaimed jumping onto Cat's bed.

Rachel walked over with something wrapped in a napkin. "We let you sleep in so long you missed breakfast. We knicked you some toast." Cat unwrapped the toast and took a bite of one piece.

"Now get dressed," Lily said, pulling her up. "Your boyfriend is waiting for you." Cat put on her uniform and robes before rushing down the stairs.

"Good morning," James greeted. "Happy Birthday."

"Morning," Cat said.

"Are you ready?"

"For what?"

"Classes," James plainly said.

"Wow," Cat started. "I expected you to want me to skive off classes for today."

"I know you actually like going to classes, like Moony," James said. He grabbed her hand and started for History of Magic. Cat's assigned seat was next to a Ravenclaw named Xenophilius who was in his seventh year.

"Hi Xeno," Cat greeted him.

"Hello, Catriona," Xeno greeted, not looking up from the drawing he was doing.

"What are you drawing?" Cat asked pulling her notes out. Xenophilius showed Cat his sketchbook. "Oh-uh-what is it?" The page had a drawing of a black figure with three people standing in front of it.

"That's Death," he said, pointing to the dark figure, "and those are the Peverell brothers," he pointed to the three other figures. "It's a drawing of the book The Tale of the Three Brothers. Have you read it?"

"No, but I've heard of it. It's the story of the Deathly Hallows, correct?"

"Yes," he exclaimed. "The Resurrection Stone, the Elder Wand, and the Cloak of Invisibility."

"Did you say the Invisibility Cloak is a Deathly Hallow?" Cat asked, knowing very well who has an Invisibility Cloak.

"Yes, Miss Mcgonagall, the Invisibility Cloak is one-third of the Deathly Hallows," Professor Binns answered in his unbelievably boring voice. He floated over to her desk and made her textbook open to the pages he already started teaching, the Witch Trials of 1692.