Chapter 17: Tears

Tiara's POV

"Can I go to the garden again in the future?" I asked while Alexander was organizing some papers. He did most of his works in his chamber. I assume it's because he wants to be with me.
I thought so much about Arzhan's words and every time it made sense even more. Alexander didn't need to care about me this much if he hated me. I would probably give him a chance if he didn't do those cruel things to Johannes and my family and if he was a little less crazy.

"Why? You hope to see your new paramour there again?" He mocked.

"You know it's not that. I just love it there. You planted those flowers for me right?"

His eyes darkened and I realized that I said something that I shouldn't.

"Your paramour told you this?" He asked.

"Alexander, please. I know I can't run away from here. From you. So at least I want to enjoy my days here. I'm trying to accept my situation. Why are you trying to make it hard for me?" I explained

His eyes narrowed "Accept? What are you playing at, this time?"

"I don't play at anything. Just let me have a little freedom. You don't even let me go out of this room."

"I think you misunderstood something. You are my prisoner. My pet. You have no freedom and things aren't going to become easy for you. It's a fucking payback. Did you forget?" He said angrily.

I couldn't control my tears. I'm trying. I'm trying so hard to adapt myself to my current position. But I'm still human not a pet. It hurts my pride so much.

When he saw my tears, his eyes became warmer. He came to me and pat my head like I did to him in the past.

"Hushhh pet, it's okay. If you want to go to the garden, I will let you but a guard will accompany you and you can't talk with others is that clear?" He said.

I can't believe my ears. He let me go to the garden.

I wrapped my arms around his neck and kissed his lips. It was when I pulled back and saw his eyes that I understood what I just did.

His eyes were full of surprise and lust. He pulled me against his chest and hugged me so tightly that I couldn't breathe.

He suddenly realized my slow breathing and let me go.

"I must go. I have works to do." He said and ran away from me.

From then on I went to the garden every day. I loved the place very much. It gave me a piece of freedom that I'd lost.

Everything was good between me and Alexander. I tried my hardest to not provoke him and he in return treated me like a lover.

I know I shouldn't feel happy about it after all of the things he did but it feels good to be treated like a lover, not a pet or toy, but that night destroyed every hope I had.

"Pet, I need to talk to you."

I was brushing my hair when Alexander said that.

"What is it about?" I turned to him and asked him.

"We are getting married next month." He said.

I jumped in shock. I'm no fool. As a noble, I know very well what marriage to a king means. Kings can have as many concubines or lovers as they want but they can just take one person as a lawful wife. The queen.

"You must be kidding right?" I told him with a fake smile.

His jaw clenched. He didn't like that I didn't take him seriously.

"You think I'm joking?" He asked with dark eyes.

"I, I" I couldn't say anything.

"Rejoice. Instead of a lowly concubine, I'm giving you the title of queen." He said.

"I don't want it."

"Why?"

"I don't love you."

As soon as the words left my mouth He backhanded me in the mouth. I fell on the ground.

My mouth was full of blood. Sure he hit me before but those strikes were nothing compared to this one.

He realized what he just did. He tried to come to me but I stopped him with my words.

"Please just stay away." I shouted. My mouth hurt so much with every word that I said.

"Why? Why do you hate me so much? You were the one who made me feel alive again so why?"

To my surprise, I saw tears in his eyes. He is crying. The man who never cried even when he was a slave is crying in front of me now that he is a king.

But still, I can't forget. I can't forgive.

"Are you nuts? Why do I hate you so much? You took everything from me. My family, my freedom, my love." I screamed.

‌"You know what? I will kill every fucking bastard you love, then you will have only me, then maybe you fall in love with me too." He said with a grin on his face and I laughed at his words.

"I don't have anyone, anymore." I told him with a sad smile.

"You forgot really soon pet." He said and I shivered in fear.

"Frederick" I cried his name pathetically.