Chapter 46: Why?

Note: The italic sentences are memories from the past.

Third person's POV

Alessia, the queen of Labuty, was famous for her virtue and gentleness, in the whole kingdom there was no one to say one bad word about her. Having her as their queen was all people could ever ask for. That was why they started calling her Dian. It was proof of her popularity among people.

Alas, the reality is always different from what we see. Even children at their pure age aren't exactly what they want you to believe they are.

Alessia was the daughter of one the biggest generals Labuty has ever had. From an early age, she had everything she could ever want. Fame, money, attention. Even her brothers were so doted on her. They didn't dare upset her in the slightest. But no one's life is complete.

When she was 10, Alessia had a dream. A very beautiful one. Every time she saw her father or brothers wielding a sword she wanted one too. She wanted a sword for herself. She wanted a horse. She wanted to be a knight. That was her dream.

So she told her father expecting him to give her what she wanted like always. One of the cruelest things in the world is to have your trust broken by someone you dearly love. Her father laughed at her, telling her a woman's hands aren't for things like this. Telling her to live in a blessed paradise as all noblewomen do. He brushed her off just like that.

But Alessia didn't give up. She went to her brothers, telling them her big dreams just to be faced with the same words. They say a woman can't hold a sword. She can't fight. She can't bring victory.

Alessia was strong-willed. She didn't lose hope. She trained by herself. Her talents showed themselves when she saw that she could learn only by watching others. She was gifted.

For three years she trained all she could without anyone knowing. Only her nanny knew of this dark secret. After three years she was as good as any of her brothers. A genius indeed.

Extremely proud of herself, one day she invited her father and brothers to her garden. There she asked her big brother to duel with her.

"Little sister gets naughtier every day." Her brother laughed.

She expected this much so she drew out the sword no one had noticed until then from her sword belt.

"Are you afraid of losing brother?" She mocked with a smile. Pulling out the sword, she threw the sheath on the ground.

The general and his sons knew swordsmanship well. They could tell by the way she held the sword that she wasn't inexperienced.

The general frowned, "Go and entertain your sister." He said toward his eldest son. He was curious and worried at the same time. If what he thought was true then he should take extreme measures.

Her brother drew out his sword reluctantly. They started fighting. At first, her brother didn't take her seriously. Wielding his sword like he was holding a plastic. A toy.

"Don't disrespect the sword in your hand. "
Alessia shouted as she struck harder. Her brother hardly blocked it with his sword but he lost his footing. Making himself stable again, he struck with more power. He knew from that one strike that this fight was no joke. It was a fight for his honor as a man. A fight that he lost because of his sister's talent in swordsmanship.

He fell to the floor from the last strike of her sister. Defeated and ashamed. He lost to a Woman.

Alessia smiled. She turned to look at her father with pride in her eyes. She was proud of herself.

"You said a woman can't wield a sword. I could. I won." She said, smiling brilliantly.

Her father stood up and walked towards her. He stood in front of her. She was expecting praise. She expected her father to be as proud as she was but the only thing she received was a slap so hard she fell on the floor.