Chapter 30: Love

Tiara's POV

I woke up with a sharp pain in my abdomen. My left hand hurt too.

I looked at my hand and saw someone grabbing it with full force.

Alexander.

What is he doing and why am I in so much pain?

The memories of last night came with a splitting headache.

The assassins. I was stabbed. So I didn't die.

I tried to move but couldn't. My struggle woke Alexander up.

"You are awake." He said and hugged me tightly.

I hissed in pain.

"Alex."

He immediately let go of me.

"Sorry. I was just so happy you woke up. Did I hurt you badly? I will call a physician." He stood up but I grabbed his sleeve.

"Don't go. I'm alright. Don't leave me. I don't want to be alone right now. I'm, I'm afraid." I said embarrassed. The last one I wanted to show my weakness is him but I'm too shaken to care.

"Of course. Sorry, I didn't protect you. I promised myself to keep you away from harm but I couldn't fulfill it."

It was shocking to hear him saying these words. He looks so vulnerable just like me, no, even more than me.

"It's okay. It wasn't your fault. Did you find out who were they?"

"It was an attack from Opulentia."

"I see. So they finally attacked. The new king is too ambitious for his own good."

"I will annihilate them. You don't need to worry."

"Do you want to wage war?"

"Yes, but not now. The assassins were familiar with this palace. It's strange."

"You think we have a spy?" I asked worriedly.

"There is no other explanation and this spy is close enough to me to know the secret passages of the palace."

"Do you have someone in mind?"

"I don't know. I was so worried about you that I couldn't think about anything else."

"Worried about me? Why?" I asked. Why would he be worried? He has never cared about me and my well-being before.

"What do you mean by why? Of course, I was worried. Any man would be worried seeing his love and wife in that state."

"Your love? You don't love me." I stated harshly. Harsher than what I intended.

He lifted his hand and I flinched in fear and closed my eyes but the strike that I expected didn't come and in place of pain I felt his hand stroking my face very gently.

"Did you really think I would hit you when you are in this condition?"

I opened my eyes and looked directly into his. There was pain and hurt evident in those beautiful blue eyes of his.

"Can you blame me after all the beating you inflicted on me? You've never cared about me and my feelings."

"I'm sorry."

I was taken aback. He said sorry. I was waiting for him to argue or threaten me but this, I truly didn't expect.

"Does my apologize so unbelievable?"
He started stroking my collarbone.

"Truthfully, yes. You are too proud to apologize."

"Says who."

"Are you saying I'm proud?"