11

A/n: It's been a while. Maybe too long. Sorry if plot's messed up. I was too lazy to read it over. 

"Are you sure you're okay?" 

"I told you, (Y/n), I'm more resilient than I look. We've been over this." Sonic pulled his hand away from the recently opened wound in his gut, his fingers coming away red. The (a/t)'s ears flattened. "Don't even think about it." 

"But-" 

"Hey. Stop. Sonic's orders. Remember your vow." 

"That didn't include me worrying about you." 

"It was a general thing." She lifted an eyebrow, unimpressed. "Okay, okay, it hurts a little bit." She rolled her eyes and sat down on the bed beside him, grabbing the medical kit and peeling his hands away from his abdomen. "Wait-(Y/n), I can do this myself-" 

"Be quiet." He sighed, leaning back on his hands and she started to clean the wound, her hands moving in a gentle rhythm. 

"So...um...have you done this a lot?" Sonic asked awkwardly after a moment. 

"Enough." 

"Are you telling me enough, or-" 

"I've done it enough to know how to do it." She looked up at him, her expression unreadable. "Am I doing something wrong?" 

"No, no." He sighed. "I'm sorry, (Y/n). For leaving headquarters. I caused more trouble. I thought I could handle it. I've never had a hard time fighting past an injury." The (a/t) pulled back briefly to fetch the bandages, her ear flicking. 

"Something was going on with you," she finally said, turning back to him. "I've never seen you act like that. Knuckles seemed like he was trying to restrain you." 

"I know, I know. It...it's really complicated." He averted his gaze. "I think I might take a break from the field for a while until this heals." This caused (Y/n) to pause. 

"Really? Just like that?" 

"Yeah. Got the sense knocked into me. I thought you'd be rejoicing." 

"Well, I'm not exactly complaining." She finished wrapping the wound and scooted backwards to get a good look at his face. "It's just not like you to give in so easily. You came back from space during the war and you were ready to instantly jump back into action. I thought you would've wanted to at least catch your breath." 

"Yeah, well, apparently that isn't my thing." He grinned but she simply tilted her head in confusion. 

"Are...are you afraid of Infinite?" 

"'Course not." She frowned but Sonic remained completely serious. "Don't say all that sappy stuff about me being able to talk to you. I know that. I'm not afraid of Infinite." I'm afraid of myself. 

"Well, I'm going to go talk to Knuckles about our next move," (Y/n) said after a moment of silence. "Don't move." 

"Aw." He cracked another grin and this time she returned it, if only a little. "Alright, get out of here. I'm gonna stay right here if you ever decide to visit me." 

With a roll of her eyes, she stepped out of the room and closed the door behind her. 

~

"Come on. These chili dogs aren't gonna assemble themselves!" Vector shouted. Apparently the best thing Knuckles could come up with for (Y/n) was to go shopping with the Chaotix. 

Charmy was a handful. 

Vector was trying to be on top of it but got constantly sidetracked.