2

(Y/n) slung her bag carrying her wispon over her shoulder and trudged out of the hotel. She encountered a squad of Badniks only a couple blocks away from her residence, but they weren't a problem. She sometimes wondered why she could handle them and no one else. 

It was a basic morning, lap around the city, take care of the Badniks, look for clues. If she couldn't find who was orchestrating the attacks, then she wouldn't be able to move on. But she wasn't worried about that. Sonic could handle anything that she couldn't, and the resistance was doing the same thing she was. 

Speaking of the resistance, she heard banging up ahead that intrigued her. She swung over the rooftops and landed on the edge of one, peering down. And there was the Chaotix. She sucked in an excited breath and aimed her wispon quickly, taking out a Badnik sneaking up on Charmy. He looked up, spotting the (a/t). She waved, grinning widely. The bee smiled just as widely and waved back. 

"Vector! Espio!" he called, pointing. The other two Chaotix finished the rest of the Badnik horde and followed Charmy's finger. 

"(Y/n)!" Vector exclaimed, throwing his hands up. The (a/t) jumped down and landed next to them, the crocodile slapping her back. "Been a while, eh partner?" She nodded. "How've you been doing?" 

"Good," she said. "What are you doing here?" 

"Just stopping by," Charmy said. He glanced around. "Looks like you've handled things pretty well." 

"Been a little crazy," (Y/n) admitted. "The Badniks just keep coming and sometimes the militia just isn't enough." She tapped her wispon. "So I've been sticking around." 

"Well, that's good to know," Vector said. 

"How's the rest of the world?" the (a/t) asked. 

"Faring well," Espio said. "Have you happened to run into Sonic at all since our last meeting?" (Y/n) shook her head. "That seems slightly strange. Knuckles, Amy, and Tails have not seen him, either. He seems to be lying low ever since we parted ways." 

"I'm sure we'll see him some time or other," Vector said, brushing off the concern. (Y/n) shrugged. "Anyway. We'll help out for today, and then we'll let you get back to your job." She nodded and they left the alley, working their way through the city. 

~

At the end of the day, the city had been cleaned out of Badniks. The Chaotix voted to move to the next city by midnight, so they bid (Y/n) farewell and left her to get back to her hotel on her own. 

"Are you scared of the dark?" She froze at the edge of the roof she was on, hand poised to shoot her hook. She looked around, but she didn't see anyone. "I quite like the dark. It's peaceful, and yet so wicked." 

"Who are you?" she growled, withdrawing her hand and grabbing her wispon. She pointed it around, rotating in a slow circle. She stopped on her other side when she noticed a dark figure outlined in the fading sunlight. 

"Currently, that is none of your concern," he said. "What you need to know is that I'm here to collect you. You have done well against my Badniks, keeping the city clean. But it was not the city I was after. This one will fall as the rest will." 

"You sent the Badniks," she hissed. "Why? The Eggman Empire fell. The resistance is spread across the globe. Any efforts to resurrect it would be wasted as they were in this city."

"I sent the Badniks for you." She tilted her head. The Badniks weren't very fierce. She handled them quickly and easily with time to do some activities in the city without worrying. "You've been working at this city for days on end. I've tired you out, and don't deny it. I can sense it. Taste it. You're exhausted." Also true. Handling the Badniks every day, getting up early and going to bed late took its toll. Having the Chaotix in the city was a nice break. 

"Now, you are ripe for the picking," her foe continued, lifting a hand. She gripped the trigger. 

"Not another step," she said. The figure let out a deep chuckle that sent chills down her spine. 

"So fierce," he said. "Once upon a time, you were shaking in front of me. How much you have grown." He opened both arms. "But I have, too." Then a shock wave was sent out and (Y/n) was suddenly on her knees, her head spinning. Her opponent kicked her wispon away and grabbed the back of her collar, hoisting up her limp form. "That was pathetically easy. Now, to move on to the next part of my plan." 

"What do you want from me?" she managed to murmur. 

"Do not worry," the figure whispered darkly. "You will know soon enough." And then they were gone.

~

Sonic ran into the city, skidding to a halt and looking around the large buildings. This was (Y/n)'s type of city. She liked to swing through the rooftops and this was definitely the perfect place for that. 

He ran through the buildings on the ground, but there was no sign of her. Then he sprang up onto the rooftops and bounded between them, looking for any clues. Then he saw it. A wispon. 

He stopped and picked it up. That was definitely hers. He would know from anywhere. The one she'd used to save them all, to rescue him. He sighed thinking about it. Taking some time alone to clean up the world had given him some time to think. Think about all they'd went through, as a team, as partners. 

(Y/n) was constantly on his thoughts. She went off on her own like he had, and she was still new to the job. Of course, she'd stopped the sun from destroying the planet, saved the world, fought as bravely as he had, but he couldn't stop himself from worrying about her. But he didn't want to interfere with her mission, so he'd left her alone, though at points he had longed to find her. 

And now....

"If you ever want to see her again, come and get her." He'd received the message at midnight and had run to the city as fast as he could. (Y/n) needed his help, and she'd been captured here not too long ago. 

"Don't worry," he said, closing his eyes and gripping the wispon. "This time, it's my turn to rescue you." And then he darted down and raced off to find his friend.