9

"Sonic the Hedgehog finally shows his face once again," Knuckles said as (Y/n) and Sonic limped into the Resistance's headquarters, tailed by Tails and the Chaotix, who'd met them outside. "Took you long enough, true blue." 

"Yeah, yeah," Sonic said, taking his arm off from around (Y/n)'s shoulders and leaning against one of the monitors. Knuckles nodded at his bandaged torso and leg. 

"What's the story?" he asked. "I'm assuming it's one of the reasons you're here in the first place." 

"Um...." Sonic glanced at (Y/n), who fixed her eyes on the ground, her ears flat. "Infinite is back, you know. Of course he'd try and kill me."

"By stabbing you?" Knuckles asked, though he sounded more teasing than suspicious. "That's pretty creative."

"I know," Sonic said, rubbing his leg wound subconsciously. "(Y/n) insisted we find the Resistance." She glanced at him, one of her ears twitching in annoyance.

"Well, I'm glad she did. If Infinite's going straight for you, you're going to need backup," the commander said.

"Have you checked back at Angel Island yet?" the blue hedgehog asked.

"Yes, actually. Before you and (Y/n) disappeared. The Emerald is secure," Knuckles said. "I need to be here for Mobius, especially if Infinite's back on the rise."

"How noble," Sonic said, smirking. Knuckles rolled his eyes, turning to the monitors. The blue blur turned to look at (Y/n). She tilted her head, lifting an eyebrow. 

"Well, Amy will be back any second to come say hello, so if you want to avoid a love attack, you may as well go and rest up as an excuse not to talk to her," Knuckles said, glancing back at them. Sonic smiled awkwardly, allowing (Y/n) to help him to his feet and stumble out of the main room into the other side rooms, sitting down on one of the dusty beds.

"Clearly hasn't been used in a while," Sonic coughed, waving a dust cloud away from his face.

"They'll figure it out eventually," (Y/n) said, standing back and crossing her arms, staring at the floor.

"Infinite did it," Sonic said dismissively. "He had control of your body."

"It was still me," she countered. "My body. I'm not strong enough to counter him anymore. Maybe no one is."

"Don't worry about it," Sonic said, shifting so his back was against the wall as he forced his injured leg onto the bed. "We got away, and I bet you learned from your mistake. You won't let it happen again." He glanced pointedly at her. "Riiiiight?" 

"If I can help it," she said, trying to force some determination into her tone. 

"That's better. C'mere. Here's one, just one, thing you're going to do for me because you stabbed me in my leg and you know how I love running." She lifted an eyebrow, though she couldn't keep back a small smile at his expression. He beckoned to her and she walked over to him. He scooted over as much as he could and patted the spot next to him. She rolled her eyes and sat down. Sonic wrapped his arm around her and pulled her into his side. 

"You're going to lift your right arm," he murmured in her ear, his hand finding her arm and tapping it. (Y/n) did as she was told, not unaware of how close they were yet again. "And you're going to repeat after me." 

"Sonic, this is-" 

"Hey. You're complaining about how you stabbed me. So if you're going to keep doing that, I can either puppy guard you, or you can repeat after me. Also...." His free hand found hers and laced their fingers together. "No crossed fingers." 

"Okay, fine." She leaned back into his side and he rested his head on top of hers.

"Okay."

"Okay." He laughed and she couldn't resist a small chuckle of her own. 

"I promise the one and only, very handsome and heroic Sonic the Hedgehog that I will not leave Resistance headquarters without telling someone or leaving a note and I promise that I will not leave a note saying sorry because I ran off because I know that that would make Sonic really upset." She repeated after him and when she'd finished he leaned down and rested his head on her shoulder. "And you really don't want that." 

"And why's that?" she asked teasingly, turning her head to look at him, one ear twisting backwards at how close their faces were. 

"Just because," he said softly. His fingers tightened over her own and his gaze suddenly fell to her lips. Her heart picked up speed and her eyes widened slightly. Sonic exhaled, closing his eyes and biting his own lip, which brought the (a/t)'s own attention to his lips. No way. 

After a moment Sonic slid his arm from around her shoulders to around her waist and lifted their hands to his face, turning it so her hand was on top and pressed his lips to it. "(Y/n), I know it kind of seemed like a joke, but it's not," he breathed, pulling up slightly to look at her. "Infinite is dangerous. Clearly, we know that, but you can't just give him what he wants. He doesn't deserve it." He used the arm around her waist to pull her closer, lifting his head and closing his eyes again. "And...and I will always want you to be around."

(Y/n) tried to say something but she couldn't. Sonic pulled his hand away from hers, only to bring it to her face, sliding from her cheek to her chin and lifting her head so he could see her eyes. "In all seriousness, please don't run off," he said. 

"Okay," she managed. 

"Okay," he echoed, seemingly satisfied. He studied her face for a moment, shaking his head slightly. "(Y/n), I...." He sighed, pulling her in for a hug and wrapping his arms tightly around her. "You scare me sometimes, you know that?" 

"Sonic, are you okay? You never get scared," she said, trying to be teasing. 

"Well, I am for you," he said, but his tone matched her attempted one and he pulled back. "Okay, there are enough rooms for everyone, so you can get out of here and go have some personal space. I've invaded it enough." He scooted away from her, crossing his arms and leaning back against the wall. "Thanks, (Y/n). I trust you." 

"Thanks," she said, standing up and moving towards the door. She turned around, lifting a hand to her mouth and rubbing her muzzle. She glanced back at Sonic and his mouth quirked up in a half smile before she opened the door and exited his room, heading off to her own to finally get a proper night's rest.

A/n: Hey look, I updated.