7

(Y/n) kept her eyes fixed to her hands as Infinite paced in front of her. She pressed a hand to her forehead, a headache raging. She knew Infinite could mess with peoples' minds, but not like that.

"I will have my revenge," Infinite growled, looking over at (Y/n). She glared up at him. "Both you and Sonic sent me to die, but I lived. A costly oversight that will not cost you both your lives." The jackal tilted his head, walking over to the wall of the cave in which they'd retreated to after Sonic fled.

"However," Infinite said, grabbing a sharp blade and taking it over to the (a/t). "Me taking both your lives directly would be too boring." (Y/n) growled as he forced her hand to lift, losing control of her limbs. He placed the blade in her hand and forced her fingers shut around it. "I want you to kill Sonic."

"I won't," she snarled. She hissed angrily as Infinite made her stand up, her body going stiff.

"You don't have a choice," Infinite sneered, his fingers moving in a pattern as he made her swing the blade around. "Don't worry. Leave the bloody stuff to me. You'll only be able to see him in your right mind when he's dead."

(Y/n) gritted her teeth, but it wasn't long before her mind clouded and her body belonged to Infinite.

~

Sonic looked up at the entrance to the cave where the tracker said Infinite was holing up. He set the device down, then took a deep breath and darted into the cave.

He was already feeling claustrophobic by the time he reached the main cavern where Infinite was floating, arms crossed with (Y/n) standing below him with a blade in her hand.

"Alright, Infinite, give her up!" Sonic yelled, pointing his finger at the jackal. Infinite simply lowered his head and unfolded his arms. His fingers twisted in strange patterns and the (a/t) below him began to move towards the blue hedgehog. Sonic looked to her and took a step back.

"Listen to me, (Y/n)," he said, lifting his hands and continuing to back up as she advanced. "I know somewhere in there, you can hear me! Please, snap out of it!"

"It's cute," Infinite laughed, "that you think she can hear you."

Sonic jumped out of the way as (Y/n) ran at him, swinging the blade. He hissed and gripped his arm where she'd clipped him, but before he could move again she shot her grappling hook at him, catching his leg and making him thump hard to the ground. He turned around to try and unwind the hook from his leg but the (a/t) pounced on him, driving the blade straight into his leg.

Sonic cried out, hearing Infinite's cruel laugh in the background. The blue hedgehog slapped (Y/n)'s hand hard and she pulled back briefly, long enough for him to grab the blade and rip it out of his leg, throwing it aside. He scrambled to his feet, groaning in pain, his ears flattening. He shook his leg free of the grappling hook and (Y/n) retracted it, her face monotone as she went to retrieve the blade. 

"(Y/n), stop!" Sonic shouted, diving for the blade before her and grabbing it. She grabbed his leg and dragged him up, flinging him into the wall. He hit it with a thump, sliding to the floor with a pained noise. The blade slipped out of his hand and she grabbed it, her face ever expressionless as she picked it up, spinning it in her hand. 

"Ah, I love it," Infinite chuckled. "How you feel the pain I felt as I struggled to survive. Now, no one will hear your final cries, just as no one heard mine." Sonic's eyes widened as (Y/n) raised the blade above her head. 

Thinking quickly, he spun out of the way, rolling to a stop and jumping to his feet. He hopped on his good leg, bracing himself against the wall. It was no use. He wouldn't outrun her, and he barely ducked in time as she shot her grappling hook at him. He caught it as she tried to recoil it, pulling hard. She stumbled, falling temporarily onto the floor. Sonic moved over to her and pressed her face into the floor, keeping her pinned there. 

"I'm impressed," Infinite said. "I thought for sure you would keep trying to evade her." (Y/n) braced her hands against the floor. "But I don't care what happens to her. I can move her limbs in any direction and she won't feel the pain." Sonic instantly jumped off her as Infinite twisted one of her arms at an awkward angle. 

"Stop!" he shouted and the (a/t)'s arm dropped to the ground before any real damage was done. He dropped his head letting out a strained pant, his injured leg shivering and throbbing. 

"I can sense that fear," Infinite said, his voice almost a whisper. "So thick, almost tangible." He hummed, a sound that made Sonic shudder. "I remember my first encounter with your friend. I could taste her fear as well, but it's nothing like what I'm getting from you." 

"I'm not afraid of you," Sonic hissed, blinking away the tears of pain. 

"Perhaps you are not afraid of me, but you are afraid for her," the jackal pointed out. "That is the best kind of fear. The one that tastes the best." 

"You're sick!" Sonic shouted, pushing himself up and glaring at Infinite. "Usually, I believe in second chances, but taking over someone else's body? That's taking it to a whole other level and it's beyond evil!" The blue hedgehog could feel his anger building up, some sort of energy almost tangible around him. Chaos energy. Realizing what was happening, Sonic briefly closed his eyes and tried to get his anger in check. 

It cost him. 

In that small moment, (Y/n) had stood up and jumped on him, throwing him onto his back. She pressed her hand to his neck, and before he could stop her, she jabbed the blade into his gut. He let out a scream of pain, writhing beneath her and throwing her off him, gripping the handle of the blade. Infinite let out a laugh. 

"I want her to see you die," he said. "I'll let her live with the knowledge that it was by her hand you were killed and then, I'll kill her, too." 

"You...won't win," Sonic gasped, rolling over to glower at the jackal. Infinite opened his hands, the strange finger movements ceasing. A moment later, (Y/n) gave a strangled cry, racing over to the blue hedgehog. 

"If you couldn't stop me, your resistance will fail as well," Infinite said, his body glitching. "So...I've already won." And then he was gone. 

"I-I'm so sorry," (Y/n) cried, gripping the handle of the blade and carefully withdrawing it. Sonic groaned, gritting his teeth and squeezing his eyes shut. "He was so strong, I couldn't think, I'm sorry!" She pressed her hands to the wound. "I don't...I don't know what to do."  

"I can...I can get us back to the city," Sonic said. 

"You can't run," she said. Sonic held up his hand and she hesitantly grabbed it, allowing him to pull himself to his feet. 

"I can," he said grimly. "I'll get us down there." He gripped her hand tightly. "Remember? Max power, partner." 

"You couldn't pull it off!" she protested. 

"You just have to believe," he said. "Believe in yourself, and believe in me, okay?" She hesitated, then nodded quickly. Lifting their hands between them, they turned towards the exit of the cave. "Null space couldn't hold us!" And then they shot out of the cave. 

It was a short lived boost as Sonic's legs quickly gave and they tumbled down the hill, rolling to a stop at the bottom. He was mostly unconscious by then and (Y/n) had to drag him to the edge of the city, calling for help. Sonic spotted a blurry figure racing towards them before he fully sagged into the (a/t)'s arms and allowed the darkness to overtake him.