4

Sonic raced into the city, slipping into a typical store. (Y/n) was right. He, especially, was way too obvious. It wouldn't be very hard to find where he was if he was in the public since he was the world-famous hero. She might have been able to blend in, but this long of a hero career was bound to have consequences. 

So he gathered up some necessities, braces for her wrists, and some treatment for his ear, which he also grabbed a hat and put over his head to avoid inquiries and maybe some fans. The latter was unsuccessful. 

However, he made it out of the store without confrontation with their new foe and back up to the cave, making sure no one was following him before ducking inside. "Alright," he said, dropping his stuff. "I think I know how to handle this, but this was always Tails' job." The (a/t) in front of him simply nodded and held out her arms. 

"Are you okay?" the blue blur asked after a moment of silence. 

"Rattled," she said quietly. "We know him, clearly, since he's out for revenge, and of course, I can't just walk away from being tortured with a smile." She glanced up at him. "Unlike some people." 

"Hey," Sonic said. "I've got...resilience. That's not the first time I've been tortured." 

"Yeah, but for six months." 

"Their methods of torture are not as fearsome as they think. It's really just beat you with a stick and expect you to talk. It was just the special day they brought out the defibrillators." He shrugged. "And by the time you met me, I'd had six months to take it and heal." 

"The resistance put a lot of faith in me when they kept calling me the rookie." She looked away. "I didn't even rescue you. You escaped on your own." 

"Seeing a friendly face was rescue enough," Sonic said, finishing bracing her wrists. He pulled the hat off his head and sat down in front of her. "If your fingers are functional, do you mind helping me treat this?" 

She nodded and flexed her fingers as much as she could, following his instructions to treat the burn. "I'm so sorry," she whispered. "I have crappy aim and it was foolish to shoot at his hand. I knew I couldn't aim, and-" Sonic put a finger on her lips, shaking his head. 

"I don't even care," he said. "What were we just talking about? Six months of torture? This is nothing. They literally thought zapping me to death and then bringing me back to life with a defibrillator was fun. This is nothing. I died on there, more than once, and they just brought me back. A burnt ear pales in comparison." He lowered his hand. She stared at him with wide eyes, then hurried her pace and wrapped it. He tried to flick it, but it was too tightly woven and he smiled. "Thanks, pal." She gave him a nod. 

"What are we going to eat?" she asked softly. 

"Well, I am the world's hero, so I can pretty much ask for anything. I'll run around different places so he can't link us up with the city below us, and boom. Problem solved." She didn't respond. She hadn't ever really been big on battle banter and didn't speak often unless she really wanted to. Sonic didn't really mind. 

They sat in silence before (Y/n) announced she was going to catch up on some missed sleep and curled up in the corner of the cave. Sonic honestly felt bad that they had to hole up here, but until they figured out who their mysterious stalker was, they didn't really have a choice. He would find them in any public places.

"You going to be comfortable enough?" he asked, standing up and walking over to her. He bent down next to her. 

"I'll be fine," she murmured, but he could see her shivering. The hedgehog settled down next to her, draping one of his arms over her torso. 

"There we go," he said playfully. She shifted slightly and he guessed she was rolling her eyes. "It's not romantic or anything. It's just all we've got." 

"You didn't think to buy a blanket or anything?" 

"Who needs a blanket?" He pumped his feet against the stone floor. "I'm hot enough for both of us." She huffed a laugh through her nose. Sonic cracked a small smile. He really did like the (a/t), but he was still deciding on whether it really was romantic or just friendship. He worried about all of his friends, didn't he? 

However, until (Y/n) had showed up, the only one who had ever tried to show romantic interest in him was Amy. And some sad fangirls that he didn't care for. And he just ignored it. So he didn't actually quite understand it, and the (a/t) didn't seem to show any romantic interest in him like the others, so he was leaning more towards friendship. 

He edged out of these thoughts as he began drifting towards sleep. A new day tomorrow, he thought drowsily. A new day to figure out everything. And with that thought on his mind, he fell asleep. 

~

The Mobian landed in the city, the sun's rays dying once more. In the town square, Tails the Fox was guiding some of the younger recruits to handing out supplies to the former refugees in the area. 

"Mind if I interrupt?" the Mobian said, stepping into the light. Tails turned towards him, his eyes widening. 

"You?" he exclaimed. "But Sonic and (Y/n)-" 

"Yes, yes, I'm well aware." He waved a hand at the fox. "I need to know where they are. You are Sonic's best friend, am I wrong?" Tails narrowed his eyes. "No? Then you must be able to locate him. He'll answer to you." 

"I won't do anything for you," Tails said, lifting his tails threateningly. 

"Oh, don't be silly," the Mobian said. "Last time we met, you were cowering behind Sonic and watched him get beaten and captured." 

"Yeah, well I'm not going to let that happen again," Tails snapped. "And your stupid ruby's energy is depleted, so that's out of the question." He curled his hands into fists. "You're overpowered." 

"On the contrary." He lifted his hands and seven stones appeared, rotating in a slow circle around him. Tails' eyes widened again. 

"H-how did you get those?" he stammered, pointing. "And-" 

"I am using them to power the ruby," the Mobian said. He nodded at the refugees and they let out a shrill scream before disappearing. "Now that's it's just you and me, shall we try this again? You will contact Sonic and bring him to me, or I will bring this city to its knees." 

"I really don't know where Sonic is," Tails said, his tails drooping submissively. 

"Then find him." 

"I can't." 

"You won't." Tails glared up at him. "Correct me if I am wrong." Silence. "I know you can find him." The building above them creaked and the fox flinched. "And do you know the best way to draw someone in? It's already worked once today." 

"You'll never-" 

"Wrong answer." The Mobian raised his hands and the stones disappeared. He extended another to Tails, who fell to his knees, gripping his head. "Never say never to one...

"Who is Infinite."