15

Sonic darted out to the main room on the third day that (Y/n) was missing. He wasn't the only one concerned now, Espio pacing around the room. 

"Would you calm down?" Knuckles snapped to the chameleon. "For the last time, it wasn't your fault." 

"I shouldn't have let her go. After everything that's happened-" 

"Well, we're going to go make sure she's alright, you hear? You can grouse about it on the way there." 

"Guess who's up and ready to go kick some jackal butt?" Sonic said by way of greeting, doing a swift lap around the room for demonstration. He stopped next to Knuckles and ran in place. "I have a lot of energy pent up, and I know exactly how I want to spend it." 

"You're not going." 

"Um, yes I am." Knuckles grabbed Sonic's arm and dragged the hedgehog into the hallway out of sight and earshot of the others. 

"You don't think I've noticed what's been going on with you?" the echidna hissed. "Sonic, it's not safe for you to go. I know you just finished recovering, but think about everyone else. What if you lose control?" 

"Lose control? Knuckles, what are you talking about?" 

"You know perfectly well what I'm talking about!" Sonic jerked his arm away from Knuckles. 

"I'm not worried," the blue blur said, stepping back towards the command center. "Trust me, Knuckles. I can do this." 

"Sonic-" He held up a hand and Knuckles glared furiously at him. 

"I've got this," Sonic said, patting his chest. "Have I ever let you down before?" 

"Don't get me started." 

"Oh, I'll get you started." He turned on his heel and scampered back to the command center, Rouge whispering something to Shadow, who didn't look pleased. 

"Alright then, Espio, Sonic, Rouge, Omega, Tails, and Amy, you're with me. The rest of you, hold down the fort until we get back," Knuckles said, marching for the door. Sonic started after him, only to get stopped once again by Shadow.

"If you're about to tell me not to lose control-"

"No, Sonic," Shadow said, his voice urgent. Sonic blinked. "He will drain you. You are the only hope of defeating him, and if you are caught, he will take your powers, like he did mine."

"He won't be fast enough to catch me," Sonic said with a grin. He grew solemn as he pulled away. "But...thank you for the warning, Shadow." The dark hedgehog didn't respond.

~

They crept into Infinite's territory as the sun started for the west, the atmosphere tense. Knuckles kept Sonic close to his side, watching him carefully. The hedgehog pretended not to notice.

"She wanted to investigate the epicenter," Espio murmured, falling into step next to the commander. "If Infinite has her, no doubt she will be there to draw us in."

"I'm sure he knows we're here," Sonic added. "He'll be there, and he'll be ready." 

"If he already knows, no point in sneaking around," Knuckles said. "Quickly and quietly. Let's go."

They hurried through the eerily quiet streets, a large tower coming into view. "That's gotta be it," Sonic muttered, his heart pounding against his chest.

"Alright, surround the perimeter, then close in on the tower," Knuckles said. "Sonic, Tails, with me."

Everyone split up and disappeared down the surrounding alleys while the trio continued straight for the tower. "What could this be for?" Tails wondered.