1

(Y/n) slipped into the diner, replacing her goggles on her head. She sat down and waited for the waiter to take her order.

She rested her head on her hand, struggling to keep her eyes open. Stray Badniks were all over the cities she was crossing, and the rebuilding would be futile if they weren't handled. So that's what she did.

She had to admit, though, she missed the resistance. Her friends. Maybe someone like Silver could have handled it so much better. She shook her head. Those were the thoughts she struggled to keep out of her head. She wasn't the only one.

Before she'd left, Sonic had parted on his own way, too. She had yet to cross paths with him, but she knew he must feel similar.

The waiter deposited her food, walking back behind the desk. (Y/n) watched them, then her eyes flicked over to the person talking at the desk. That was her target.

Subtly, she shifted her bag under the table, which carried her wispon. Her other equipment was on her body, easily disguised.

"Two glasses of water," her target said, though by now, (Y/n) knew better than to think they were actually talking about water. The attendant nodded and the other Mobian sat down at a table near to the (a/t).

The waiter set the two glasses of water down. (Y/n) almost rolled her eyes. Two glasses of water? She kept her head down, chewing on her food, though she kept an eye on her target.

This one was a lackey for some mysterious master, who had been causing lots of trouble with the Badniks. Something was hauntingly familiar about the methods and the Badniks themselves, but without reliable information, (Y/n) wasn't about to jump to conclusions. 

The Mobian studied the two glasses of water, pressing a gloved hand to one tentatively. Unnatural light shone into the water, but it wasn't obvious enough to arise suspicion. It was a message. (Y/n) stood up quickly and stepped over to the Mobian, who startled, taking their hand off the glass. The (a/t) put her hand over the top and dragged it towards her. 

"Who are you working for?" she whispered, sitting down to settle any commotion she had started by her sudden movement. "What does this message say?" 

"What are you talking about?" the Mobian asked, though (Y/n) could detect nervousness in their tone. 

"Once more," (Y/n) said. "Who are you working for?" 

"No one!" The (a/t) narrowed her eyes and gripped the glass. 

"Then you won't mind if I take this," she said, standing up. She kept her hand over the top and her target sprang up. 

"No!" They glanced nervously at the other patrons. "Please. You have no idea what you're getting involved." They held out their hand. "Just give me the glass and we can both walk away." 

"I can help you," (Y/n) shot back. "I don't want to hurt you, but if you don't tell me who you're working for, a lot of people could get hurt." 

"Give me the glass." (Y/n) hesitated, then shook her head. She then lifted the glass above her head and threw it. It shattered on the ground. "No!" The Mobian dropped down and tried to gather the glass but the (a/t) swept half of it away with her foot.

"What is going on here?" a new attendant called. 

"It was an accident," (Y/n) said. "I'm sorry. I'll help clean it up." She bent down and began to sweep up the rest of the glass but the Mobian grabbed her collar and shook her. 

"You have no idea what you're doing," they hissed. "More people are going to get hurt this way. You should have just stayed out of it." (Y/n) calmly put her hand on the Mobian's arm. 

"Take your hands off me," she said. She reached over and grabbed the bag that had her wispon, unzipping the top to show her target. They hesitated. "If you tell me who you're working for, I'll let you go." 

"And if not?" 

"Then it's going to be a long night." (Y/n) had no intentions of doing any harm to this Mobian. She didn't have the guts to do any violence to anyone besides robots and maybe Eggman. But if this Mobian believed her, perhaps she could get the information she wanted. 

"I can't tell you," the Mobian hissed. 

"And why's that?" 

"Because I don't know!" (Y/n) lifted an eyebrow. "He's so secretive that the only thing we know is his gender. He doesn't want anyone to know who he is for this specific reason. I'm sorry, but I can't help you." 

"Alright," (Y/n) said. She zipped up the bag once more and slung it over her shoulder. "Tell your master that I will find him. His little Badnik attacks will be very short-lived." She paid and marched out the doors. That was disappointing. If her mysterious foe didn't tell anyone who he was, then she couldn't get very many leads. 

She launched herself onto the rooftops and ran along them, scanning for any Badniks. This place was a hot spot for them, though she wasn't sure. She'd been stuck in this city for about a month. 

Ever since the end of the war, she'd been all over. She'd run into the Chaotix a couple of times, and they'd helped her get on their way after long conversations. Sometimes she found Knuckles, or Amy and Tails, but the only one she'd never run into was Sonic. She wasn't too beat up about it - if he wanted to see her, he would find her, and she was sure that he would at some point. 

Currently, she spotted a small flock of Badniks huddled in an alley. She stopped, pulling out her wispon and aiming at them. She fired and the Badniks exploded, landing in a pile of busted parts. That's usually how she rolled. She tried to avoid direct combat and just taking them apart from a distance. It saved her time and injuries, which she also didn't want to handle. The worst thing she'd gotten so far was a sprained ankle. Her luck tended to be insane. Or maybe it was skill. In a sense, she still regarded herself as a rookie. 

Finished with the area she'd been patrolling, she returned to her hotel that she'd been staying at. After a few nights, she deemed it better than what she'd been doing, and her prolonged stay had proved her point. Once there, she hid her wispon in the closet and turned in for the night. 

~

The dark figure watched the (f/c) (a/t) swing down to the hotel building, stepping inside. She was in room 306 on the outside with a tiny deck that she sometimes came out on to perform surveillance. 

He had to admit, she was pretty good at what she was doing. But then again, he was only playing with her. Getting her into one place and studying her strategies was his real point, and he could create as many Badniks as he wanted. 

And when he was ready, he would strike, take her down, and force his second target to come for her, getting them both in one blow. He knew this (a/t). She wouldn't be a problem. Despite her new ways and skills, she was still the same young Mobian he'd terrified all that time ago. 

Or at least, it seemed like a long time ago. He couldn't tell anymore. This (a/t) and that wretched hedgehog had seemingly knocked him out of existence. It wouldn't happen again. He'd learned from his mistakes. Underestimating these fools was one of the larger ones. 

And letting them live. 

That one would most certainly not happen again. The figure chuckled darkly. "Just wait, my dear," he said, watching the light in room 306 flicker out. "It won't be long now." And then he disappeared.  

Quick A/n: I noticed while playing Sonic Forces that the avatar is way taller than Sonic, so I'm changing that because I kind of don't want Sonic to be the shorty. That's just how I roll. So the avatar is going to be a bit shorter than Sonic. Not by a lot, but still. Just so you know.