10

"You're in no shape to be running missions, you stupid hedgehog," Knuckles said a few days after the pair's arrival at the Resistance's headquarters. Sonic paced around the main room, his limp still visible.

"I'm fine. I'll take it easy," he said.

"Take it easy by laying down and letting it heal properly," (Y/n) said.

"And she gets to run the mission?" Sonic said, gesturing at her. She gave him an unimpressed look. "Hey, you're in pretty bad shape, too."

"At least I didn't get stabbed twice."

"Sonic, she made a much faster recovery," Knuckles said. "As the leader of the Resistance, I'm ordering you to rest until you're not visibly limping."

"But-"

"That's the end of it," Knuckles interrupted. "Amy, please make sure he doesn't lose his way back to his room."

"Seriously, Knuckles?" Sonic ducked away from Amy and crossed his arms.

"I'm not going to run away," (Y/n) assured him. "Or maybe I will if you don't sit down." The blue hedgehog made a face at her and she gave him a half smile.

"Come on," Amy muttered, grabbing Sonic's arm and dragging him down the hall. "Why don't you tell me all about your adventures before Infinite came back."

"Tails, you need to rest, too," Knuckles said, gesturing at the hall.

"Wait, but I wanted-"

"I'm running the mission with (Y/n)," the leader said. "You and Amy are holding the fort."

"Fine." Tails trudged down the hall and disappeared. Knuckles turned to the Chaotix.

"Head out and see if you can find any evidence of Infinite. If he's been up to no good, citizens may be threatened," the red echidna said.

"You got it," Vector said, saluting and turning to his team to hand out the more specific orders.

Down the hall, Sonic pulled his arm away from Amy, refusing to be pushed into his room. "Look. I came back from six months of torture and was fine," he said.

"Clearly, that torture was mellow," Amy said. 

"No, it wasn't! I'm just tough like that!" 

"Stop acting like a baby, Sonic." 

"Stop babying me!" 

"Don't you think you're being a little dramatic?" the pink hedgehog said, standing back and crossing her arms. Sonic turned around, his ear twitching. "(Y/n) can handle herself. She's survived Infinite before." 

"Yeah, but in the condition she's in I doubt she could fire her wispon properly." 

"Sonic." He huffed, glaring at Amy. Then he sighed, stepping back into his room.

"I'm just worried, okay?" he admitted. "I know she can handle herself, but...after what happened out there, I just wanna be there for her, you know?"

"That's sweet," Amy said, stepping in after him. "And I know that you care about her, but like you said, she can handle herself. And she's got Knuckles there to back her up."

"Is that supposed to comfort me?" Sonic responded jokingly. They shared a brief laugh before the blue hedgehog sat down. "Thanks, Amy. I think I'll be fine on my own now." She smiled softly at him, moving back out into the hallway and nudging the door shut. Sonic lowered his gaze, then laid back and closed his eyes.

~

"Seems you and Sonic are...closer," Knuckles commented as he and (Y/n) trudged through a wooded area. She pushed a tree branch out of the way, shrugging.