Chapter 55- Terminus

Forty-eight hours after Terra had left you in the care of the medical team you are finally cleared for transportation. The wait is agonizing. Not because of the pain, though there's still enough of it to go around, but because of your desire to be back at Haven. Your daughters, friends, and the goal Ichigo had entrusted to you, their confluence is the seaside village you'd been unable to reach in the time since Freya fell silent. Your partner had informed you that some of your friends remained, but who they were was beyond her vision. You must know if Asuna and Asada are unharmed, as their safety means more than anything else in this world.

"Preparing to make our approach," the voice of transport's pilot crackles over the comm. Before the mic is silenced, a second thought spoken under the filtered speaker comes across. "God, they sure did a number on it."

With the ocean in sight it won't be long before the coastal village is in view of the cabin windows. When it finally does, what catches your eye before anything else is how flat everything has become. The treeline running along the beach has been completely uprooted or otherwise collapsed by the impact of the railgun's slug. Given that Haven still exists it couldn't have been directly nearby, but the devastation to the forest is immense regardless.

Further inland a great swath of the dense woodland has been cleared, but the source is much clearer. Among the burnt and toppled timber are corpses of Haven's defenders and APE's forces alike. More of the vibrantly painted rebel units are visible than their dull counterparts, causing a renewed fear for those dear to you.

When the final descent begins you get your first look at what remains of Haven. Approximately a third of the fledgling city has been severely damaged as the result of fighting, with the most severe being located on the outskirts where entire buildings have been reduced to rubble. It is several blocks before the next signs of fighting appear.

Similar to the first but less intense, the scene paints a picture of a skirmisher-style phased retreat being used by the defenders. The number of corpses grows smaller as you move toward the sea heralding the final stand.

Signs of rebuilding also dot the landscape, scaffolding clinging to superstructures and cranes digging out the wreckage. Only the manor on the hill seems to have been spared from the cataclysmic events that have recently taken place as the transport circles over it .

There is a jolt as the wheels of the aircraft make contact with the soft earth of the park, along with the groaning of metal. Piercing rays of morning sunlight force those within the cargo bay to cover their eyes as the rear gate lowers. A crowd has amassed to welcome the new arrivals, but the only ones you notice are the two young girls searching desperately for their father in the crowded transport.

"Asuna! Asada!" the words escape your mouth without you telling your body to speak. They are accompanied by a feeling of elation and it's as though the weight of the world has been lifted from your shoulders. Despite everything that has transpired, your girls are alive.

The twins perk up the moment they hear your voice and their little eyes dart through the compartment even faster trying to locate the one who had called out to them. Then, Asuna finds you.

"Asada, Asada!" she tugs at the hem of her sister's dress before taking off at a full sprint through the crowd.

Bouncing off of multiple people in her path, the blonde leaps into the air and into your waiting arms. Still somewhat weakened by the previous battle you are caught off guard by her actions and the two of you tumble into the grass. Asuna devolves into a fit of squeals and giggles as you hug her tightly and run your hands through her flaxen hair.

"Oh, I'm so glad you're safe," you whisper, planting a kiss on her forehead.

Before her sister can reply Asada joins the family reunion, wrapped around your right arm as tears stream down her puffy cheeks. "We were so worried when you didn't come back! We thought you were gone!"