Chapter 57- Operation Starfall (Part 2)

While the battle for the wreckage of Cosmos station raged on, the northern rampart had been suspiciously quiet. A large rebel assault force had appeared in the south and subsequently engaged with the perimeter defenses along the wall there, concentrating on the southern rampart. Troops had been siphoned from the remaining bastions to shore up the active front, leaving them weaker and more open to a surprise attack.

Nine Alpha was aware of this, but holding three sections of the outer defenses would be worth nothing if the fourth fell to the rebellion. The traitors had been making concerning headway until their legs had been quite literally swept out from beneath them by one of the fort's traps. Rigging the bridges with explosives had been Beta's idea, an excellent contingency that left the rabble easy targets for loyalist gunners as they attempted to ford the river.

The young man was almost pleased with how well the battle had progressed so far. Most everything was according to plan. The Klaxosaur Princess and her FranXX... Klaxosaur, whatever it was, were certain to show up at some point. Though not even she could stand up to six Nines, psionic abilities or no.

"Omega!" Psi shouts at the depiction of Delphinium on screen. The wideness of her eyes, saliva in the corner of her mouth, and bulging veins in her temples are more than enough to show how much of an animal she truly is. The burns from her previous battle have healed thanks to her time in a hypervital unit but the blue locks have yet to return, leaving her hair patchy in some places and downright nonexistent in others.

"Omega, my love, I am coming for you!"

Alpha pinches the bridge of his nose. He cannot wait to be rid of her after their decisive victory this day.

"For the last time, he no longer pilots that FranXX."

Psi's gaze snaps to him as she lets out a snarl. "You don't know that. He could be waiting for me to free him from that bitch right now!"

Before the lead Nine can reply with something less than courteous, another speaks up.

"You know, Psi, we confirmed in the assault on their base that the FranXX known as Delphinium was piloted by Codes 390 and 666. You know, Omega is piloting with the Klaxosaur Princess after the loss of Code 015," Sigma reminds her.

"Kill... her too," Tau grunts, unclenching her fist into an open palm.

A wicked smile overtakes the leader of the second class and the flames of rage and passion burn brightly in her eyes.

"Yes, yes! Omega and I will be reunited even if I have to kill every last Klaxosaur. I will skewer them, slice them, slash them, vivisect them, cut ribbons from their entrai–"

"Enough!" Alpha silences the crazed woman, having become tired of listening to her ravings. In a single motion he pushes himself from his comfortable seat in the middle of the crowded room. "Beta, ensure our FranXX are ready. Lingering in this stuffy command center has grown dull. It is time we take to the field."

Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

In the distance beyond the walls of the hastily erected fortress, three colossal canine figures crane their necks and cry out to a moon drowned out by daylight.

These wolves are unknown to many of the defenders, but some of the more senior recall the stories of a trio of Klaxosaurs destroying Plantations 26 and 59. Terrible creatures that devoured a whole plantation and its inhabitants without a second thought. Ones that felled retreating defense squads before drinking their fill of orange lifeblood from their kills. Ones that match the descriptions of what the defenders are seeing now.