Chapter 5- Always Learning

In the two weeks following your official appointment to Squad 13, you had begun to develop a sort of routine. In the morning after waking up, you enjoyed walking through Mistilteinn and listening to the tranquil sounds of the forest. After that followed a seven-o-clock breakfast, with the seat that Zero Two stole rotating so that each boy other than Hiro ended up having to sit at the girls table. Then chores would take up until nearly noon. It is hard to describe any chore as being your "favorite," but there are several that are better than others. Cleaning the windows and exterior of the house was by no means among that list, yet it seemed to be your most common task.

When the chores were finished, there was usually extra time before lunch for everyone to enjoy themselves. For you this typically consisted of either sitting in the lounge with Ikuno and reading in silence or you would occasionally visit Mittens with Ichigo. Then would be lunch, bearing the same problem as breakfast. Zero Two somehow managed to steal a different seat at every meal, it was almost like she did it intentionally.

The afternoon was filled with training. The type changed based on the day of the week, but there would always be something new. Usually it revolved around physical training or sparring in the FranXX. Nana had told you time and time again that healthy bodies and minds were required to maximize your squad's numbers. This meant that you were usually pushed to your limits in one way or another before returning to Mistilteinn in time to shower before dinner.

After eating dinner and seeing who Zero Two would boot out this time, everyone had the rest of the evening to do as they pleased. Normally this included at least an hour of everyone socializing in the lounge. Sometimes you'd go for another walk through Mistilteinn before bed to clear your head and think about your day. Occasionally you'd be joined by someone, usually Kokoro or Ichigo. You'd make conversation with whoever came along and as a result had learned more about Kokoro. She is an incredibly kind person with a really open mind. Though there were times that you felt like she had something she wanted to say. But when you'd ask she would always shy away.

Spending time with Ichigo was always pleasant. You had discovered quickly once you two became official partners that there were two sides to the girl. The first was the all business squad leader, with expectations and rules. The second, and more adorable side, was that of a girl who cared deeply for each member of her squad and would do anything to help them. She also had an affinity for things that were slightly girlish such as stuffed animals or the voice she adopted interacting with Mittens or the other animals.

After your evening activities you'd return to the room you share with Hiro. He no longer seems surprised when you enter the room, which was comforting in itself. He was the first to really accept you into Squad 13, and as a result is the closest friend you have among the boys. The two of you usually would have a brief conversation about this or that, then turn in for the evening.

Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

When you wake up it feels just like any other morning. The sun is just beginning to rise in the distance as you roll out of bed and prepare for your morning walk. However, unlike usual something catches your eye. In Hiro's bed beside him you believe you see a strand of pink hair.

You rub your eyes and dismiss it as nothing but morning grogginess and make your way to the bathroom. When you return after having splashed cold water on your face you realize that your initial observation was not wrong. There is definitely a strand of pink hair in Hiro's bed, an entire head of them in fact.

"Zero Two?" you whisper, trying to comprehend what you are seeing. As you do Hiro begins to stir. He sits up in bed and sees you in the doorway. "Morning (Y/N)," he mumbles. "Hiro," you reply, "Why is Zero Two in our room, and more specifically, why is she in your bed?" "What are you talking about?" Hiro groans as he turns to his right.