Chapter 29 - Making Plans

Kokoro stirs and opens her eyes to find herself in an unfamiliar room. The walls are dull grey, like steel, with a single dark window running the length of the one on her left. Medical machines and tables with various instruments surround her, but she is alone.

The blonde girl attempts to move and quickly finds that she can't. Kokoro discovers that she has been restrained by metal shackles on her wrists and ankles to an examination table. Said table has been tilted to sit at a 75-degree angle, giving her the view of the room she is confined to.

Kokoro struggles against the metal holding her but it doesn't budge. The only thing it accomplishes is causing her a bit of pain as the clamps seemingly grow tighter. Studying herself, she realizes that her parasite suit has been replaced with only a hospital gown and an IV hangs from her right arm.

As this realization dawns on her, the memory of her last waking moments returns as well. Fighting in Genista against a strange FranXX that was almost completely white, wielding both a sword and spear. She'd been beaten quickly and fallen unconscious shortly after.

I've been captured, the thought races through her mind, sending a shiver down her spine. What will they do with me? A tear rolls down her cheek. They might kill me or interrogate me for–

The door opens and a boy enters. He stands only slightly taller than Zorome or Hiro, wears a white dress uniform, and has blonde hair like her own. His green eyes bore into her with ravenous intent, but he makes no sudden moves to assault her in her helpless state. Overall, he scares her, but Kokoro can't help but feel she recognizes him.

"Code 556," the boy's tone is smooth as honey and he smiles, "I'm so glad that you're finally awake. I was beginning to worry that we'd been too rough with you. However, it seems that wasn't the case."

The boy takes a step closer. "Now, I have several questions. Answer them and I swear no harm will come to you."

"W-where am I?" Kokoro's voice trembles as she addresses her interrogator.

Smack!

Kokoro's head rolls from left to right as the boy backhands her. She lets out a cry and more tears stream from her eyes. "I said I would be asking the questions," he repeats. "If you speak out of turn again, I will be forced to respond accordingly. Being the good host that I am, I shall overlook this infraction."

The blonde male adjusts his glove. "I am Nine Alpha, and you are in an undisclosed location that your rebel friends will never find. Now it's my turn: why were you attacking a supply base in the middle of nowhere?"

Several seconds pass in silence. "I see, we'll have to do this the hard way then," Alpha narrates. He lifts his gloved hand to strike again but a voice stops him. "We needed the food."

"So you are running low on supplies?" the boy asks. Kokoro doesn't respond. Alpha slaps her again, bruising her left cheek. He then grabs the girl's chin and forces her to look at him. "You will answer me when I ask you a question, do you understand? If you don't, well... I'd hate to ruin such a pretty face."

Kokoro's fearful eyes stare at him, but her only response is to cry even harder. "Are the rebels running low on supplies?" the boy demands. Kokoro doesn't speak but does manage to nod.

Alpha grins. For one as weak-willed as this girl, it'd soon be very easy to coax more information out of her. "How many of you are there?"

"I don't know," Kokoro answers. "Don't lie to me," Alpha cautions her. "I won't be forgiving. Not to you or any of your traitorous friends. They will all be made to atone for their sins through fire and death. If you don't want to me to kill you right now, you'd better stop lying to me."