Chapter 23 - To Become Strong

You walk down one of the hallways in the manor atop the hill. Very suddenly, your shirt catches on something. When you turn to fix it, you find that it wasn't caught on something so much as someone. Two fingers have a firm hold on you, and upon following them you find the rest of an arm disappearing behind a nearby door.

You stand still for a moment waiting to see what will happen. The door opens another inch and the tugging on your shirt resumes. You sigh loudly. "Alright, I'm coming," you say and open the door.

The room is dimly lit with only a single lamp by the bed turned on. It illuminates the room enough so that you are able to recognize its occupant, who is now sitting on the floor against the bed. Over her knees, the girl's puffy blue-green eyes peer at you and her face is almost as red as her hair from crying.

"Miku," you say, letting her know that you've entered. "You stopped me just now, didn't you?" She nods. Recalling the events of yesterday and how poorly she'd been coping with them, you soften your voice. The floor creaks as you walk over to kneel beside her. "What is it you need?"

Miku doesn't move and her voice is barely even a whisper. "Thank you for saving me yesterday." Your eyes soften as well as you look at her. "Do you remember what I said last night?" you ask her. She shakes her head. Of course she doesn't, she probably doesn't remember what anyone said.

"I said that I'd always watch out for my friends," you answer the question gently. "I hate it," Miku says in response, this time in a loud and firm voice. You cock your head in confusion. "Hate what, exactly?" Miku refuses to look you in the eye. "Being like... this."

"What do you mean, 'like this?'" you ask. "There's nothing 'wrong' with you. Are you hurt?" She shakes her head. "Being weak, always scared, having to be protected," Miku finally looks at you and admits how she truly feels. "A burden."

You take a deep breath and gather your thoughts. "You aren't a burden, Mi–" "Yes, I am!" she shouts back, much to your surprise. "I'm not good at anything. I can't even protect myself, and I put other people in danger because of it! Zero Two would have died if you didn't save her when her hand got crushed. I wasn't paying attention and didn't see that the ceiling was weak, and she saved me. Yesterday a guard would have killed me if Zorome hadn't knocked her out, and then I froze against the other squad. Zorome tried to fight them but I  dragged him down." Tears once again flow freely on her cheeks and she hides her face. "I'm worthless."

You are somewhat taken aback by Miku's words, but not as much as you could be. I hate to admit it, but she does have a reason to feel like this. Looking at recent events, she hasn't done the best when she's been under pressure. So now she's wallowing in a hole of guilt and self-pity.

While you're still in thought, Miku continues. "I want to be strong, like you. You're always so confident and you never hesitate. If I could be like that, then no one would have to protect me anymore."

I didn't realize she thought so highly of me. And now it's clear she hasn't said these things to anyone else. She came to me, so that makes it my responsibility to help her.

"You can be," you say aloud. Miku takes a sharp breath. "I can?" "Yes," you nod. "I can teach you to be like me, but it won't be easy." Miku shoots up from against the bed to her knees, putting her on eye level with you. "If you can teach me not to be a burden anymore then I'll do whatever it takes."

"Are you sure?" you ask. "It will involve a ton of physical training and I won't take it easy on you because you're a girl." Miku gives you a hard look. "I want to be strong. No matter how hard it is, I won't give up," she replies. "Then, as of now, you'll do what I say," you tell her. Miku nods. "Good," you resume. "We'll start tomorrow at first light. If you aren't up, I'll wake you."