Chapter 42- Declaration

The morning sun rises over the ocean, cascading the cliffside village of Haven in its life-bringing rays and a kaleidoscope of colors reflecting off the surf. Reds, yellows, blues, and many other hues paint the sheer face, creating a breathtaking lightshow. In the master suite of Haven's manor, a couple lies asleep in one another's arms.

A ray of light peeks through the shades covering the window and shines directly on your eyes. In order to remain asleep, you shift your position on the bed by several inches and bring yourself closer to Ichigo. This works for a time, but as the sun looms over the horizon it becomes harder and harder to hide from its illumination.

With a sigh you sit up in the bed and glance at the clock, 0730. Wow, I really did sleep in. Not that it's really a surprise, everyone is likely to be sleeping in a bit this morning. After the wedding and reception, it seemed like you were all ready for a little bit of rest to accompany your relaxation.

The reception had fittingly been held in the grand ballroom of the mansion. Zero Two and Hiro had been seated at the far end of the room in front of the massive bay windows. The couple could hardly step away from one another. Each was so clearly overjoyed to be with the other for the entire night, and that feeling radiated throughout the room. Zero Two had always been the life of the party though, so nothing was new there.

Love was certainly in the air following the wedding. The ceremony had been one of the greatest expressions of love many of Haven's residents had ever seen, and not only were they caught up in the moment but many among Squad 13 were as well.

Zorome and Miku danced the night away, though it was hard to tell who actually held the lead as they spun around. You were glad to see the two of them getting to have time to act like they were in a relationship. Miku's role as one of the primary trainers for new recruits kept her busy, but not as busy as the head mechanic Zorome. Your "little sister" constantly smiled and laughed with her beloved, and just by watching it was clear enough to see that they truly cared for one another.

Ikuno and Naomi were a sight for sore eyes, as each of them had looked very pretty in their bridesmaid's dresses and makeup. It was the first time you recalled having seen Ikuno wear any kind of fancy dress wear at all. She and Naomi had spent most of the night at their seats with Naomi practically draped over Ikuno. For once, the raven-haired girl did not appear bothered by her significant other's behavior in public. The two had even danced together before the night was over. While you were happy for them, what might have been more important was that they were together showing that love had no boundaries.

Likewise, Kana and Kyo set a good example. The two were good friends and excellent partners, but nothing more. If the parasites were to use Squad 13 as role models, they might believe that it was necessary to have a romantic relationship with their partner to be a good pilot. Kana and Kyo shattered that notion as they danced and laughed with no expectations or hesitations between them, as in sync in the ballroom as on any battlefield.

Rounding out the occasion had been Freya, Doctor Franxx, and Mitsuru. The two men had sat and discussed a wide variety of topics in the scientific and mechanical fields, with Freya providing her own opinions from time to time. When it came time for the father-daughter dance, the group broke from assembly as the elderly man made his way to the center of the dance floor.

Soft music played and Zero Two took his hand. The parent and child spun around on the floor, putting on a wonderful display and bringing tears to the eyes of many. No parasite knew their parents, and Zero Two was truly lucky in that regard. Today was one of the days she was most aware of it.

Kokoro had been unable to attend as expected. Zero Two had called her the day before, though, and according to Ichigo they had a wonderful chat together.