Chapter 1- First Meeting

Alright let's get this started. Here is the first full length chapter. I anticipate having at least one update a week, though sometimes there may be more depending on my schedule. As always let me know what you think or if you have any questions. Enjoy! 

Ichigo's POV

"Goro..." Ichigo whispers meekly. For the past two days she had been unable to get him off of her mind. Every time she closed her eyes, he was waiting for her there. Every time she looked at a member of her squad, she saw how badly she had failed them. And every time she thought of him, she began to drown in a sea of endless, crushing emotion. The memory of what happened inside the cockpit of Delphinium that day had been burned into her mind, still just as vivid as when it transpired.

"Hiro!" she shouts as Delphinium rushes to Strelitzia's side. "I told you to stay at your post on top of the transfer pipe!" Strelitzia turns and pouts, her voice thick with protest. "Aw, but we were just having some fun." "Zero Two, go back to your post!" Delphinium retorts. "Humph, so bossy," Strelitzia spits, sounding annoyed before she jets away back to the pipe.

Why won't you just listen to me? Ichigo asks herself as she watches the glow of Strelitzia arc upwards. I'm just trying to keep you safe, Hiro. "Ichigo, on the left!" Goro shouts, but she's still too lost in her own thought to respond. "Ichigo!"

Crack!

Delphinium's head smashes into the ground with enough force to sever Ichigo's connection to Goro. She opens her eyes to find the world spinning after feeling the impact of...whatever that was. The first thing she realizes as the dizziness fades is that she is no longer on the pistil's platform and instead on the floor of the cockpit. Her body is weak as she tries to rise, likely a result of the impact she just suffered, but something else behind her impedes her from moving.

Ichigo looks down to see a pair of arms wrapped around her waist. In the moment, she is lost as to whose they could be and why they are there. A cough behind her, however, tells her that it must be Goro.

"Goro?" Ichigo asks. No reply. She tries once again to stand, but the arms won't allow her to move. "Goro, let go of me! We have to get back out there." Ichigo's words are harsh but she doesn't care, right now is not the time for hesitation, not when their squad needs them.

Ichigo struggles for close to thirty seconds before she finally manages to wrestle herself from Goro's grasp. I am so going to kill him for this later, she tells herself as she turns around to face him. Ichigo gasps at the sight that awaits her, completely unprepared for what she sees.

Before her, Goro is plastered against the base of the cockpit's wall. His back has taken on an unnatural shape and he coughs violently, spitting up blood. It pools in small circles on the floor and coats the front of his parasite suit. "Goro!" Ichigo shouts, falling to her knees and taking his head in her hands.

"Goro, stay with me!" Ichigo pleads. "I'm going to get you out of here!" Goro shakes his head, an almost imperceptible motion, before whispering to her, "Ichigo..." With great effort, he takes her still-trembling hand and smiles. "...You're okay." "Goro, just hang on!" Ichigo sobs as tears now freely run down her face.

"Hey," Goro begins as he cups her cheek with his right hand. Gingerly, he wipes away a tear from her eye. "Everything... is going to be alright." Goro's hand then falls to the floor seemingly in slow motion, and he ceases to hold his head up to look at her. "No!" Ichigo shouts, grabbing desperately onto her partner, willing him to live.

"Goro! Goro please!" Ichigo screams. "No, don't leave me!"

Suddenly, Ichigo is alone. Very alone. Uncountable emotions well up inside of her, each threatening to explode outwards and take control. She can feel her grip on reality growing weaker and weaker. And then as quickly as it had appeared, the haze clears.