Chapter 34 - Repercussions

Deep within the aerial fortress Cosmos, an emergency meeting of the Council of Sages has been called. Tarsier, Lemur, Gorilla, Marmoset, and Baboon loudly argue among themselves from their raised seats. As the two final members of the council enter the chamber, those already gathered fall silent. Papa and the Vice Chairman walk calmly to their chairs without a hint of emotion betrayed and take their seats. After being raised to the same height as the others, the central holoscreen clicks on as an orange rotating symbol of APE appears.

"Gentlemen," the Vice Chairman says with a nod to Gorilla, Baboon, Marmoset, and Tarsier. His voice softens and he addresses Lemur. "And lady. We have gathered to discuss an important development." Footage plays of FranXX painted a variety of colors and wielding a wide assortment of weapons struggling against monochrome standard models.

"The rebel forces led by the former members of Werner's test team attacked the Third Garden early this morning. By midday they had seized control of the facility's exterior. A force was assembled to recapture the Garden, however, those guarding the inside of the facility also fell to rebel ground troops and the attack was called off to avoid wasting resources."

"Why was the attack called off?" Gorilla booms. "Parasites and FranXX are expendable so long as we have the capacity to produce them, but allowing a Garden, one of such facilities, to fall into rebel hands is preposterous. Damn the cost, we must take it back!"

"While I do not share Gorilla's violent tendencies," Tarsier waves his hand, "I do agree that this cannot be allowed to stand. However, for a different reason. Allowing the rebels to hold a key APE facility will undoubtedly embolden them in future endeavors. It would also serve as propaganda for their agenda of stealing our parasites. In the last six months, eight plantations have had their defensive squads plucked out from under them."

Seemingly uninterested in the current debate, Lemur dismisses it with a wave of her hand. "I don't care one way or the other what the rebels are doing to take our parasites. It can all be fixed with a single action: our indoctrination program must be strengthened. If the parasites are properly under our heel then there will be no risk of them defecting."

"Our FranXX are proving to be equally ineffective," Baboon picks up. "The ease with which the rebel forces were able to dispatch our own is simply unacceptable. The battle for the Garden should have raged long enough for reinforcements to arrive, but our troops were turned back in less than two hours. Additional models are necessary and a stricter focus on training to fight against other parasites must be implemented."

Gorilla scoffs. "And leave them unprepared to deal with the Klaxosaurs? Surely you jest?"

"The parasites need not focus solely on the Klaxosaur threat when another has made itself known to us," Papa speaks for the first time. "It is imperative that our parasites improve so that they are capable of defending our society from the Klaxosaurs and the rebel forces which we have ignored for far too long."

Papa presses a button on his chair and the screen changes to a report of a cyberattack targeting Plantation 75. "Furthermore, it disappoints me that this council has been unable to connect the link between this attack conducted against our network and the subsequent offensive the rebel forces mounted on the Garden. The signs were evident and yet still overlooked."

"But how could they have infiltrated our network?" Marmoset asks. "Parasites aren't trained in computer science or systems."

"Simple," Lemur answers. "They used an AI." The room erupts into shouts from the other council members. It is quickly silenced by Papa however and he looks to Lemur. "Explain."

"As you know," Lemur begins, "my team has been working toward the creation of our own artificial intelligence for some time. We have made great strides but the ability to properly shackle it to our satisfaction has so far eluded us."