Chapter 40 - Answers

Now I'm sure that the last chapter left each of you with more questions than answers. Well, I'm happy to announce that you will be getting some. In addition, we've got another little goodie for you. Psi has been given form. For now it is just one of her personalities but the others are in the works as well. Use the link below catch a glimpse of the second class's leader.

Link: imgur.com/a/bk8qRf2

Psi's room is a mess, is Sigma's first thought after opening the door to his squad leader's quarters. She had failed to respond after he called out to her, so Sigma had politely waited several minutes by the door in hopes she'd come around. After that time had passed, it was only right that he should invite himself in to check on her.

The room truly is a mess. What little of it he can see through the darkness is, at least. Books and other papers have been scattered across the floor, with an encyclopedia torn completely in two to cap it off. A tray of uneaten food sits by the bed. Tau had deposited it there last night at his instruction after Psi missed dinner.

The shelf that held Psi's collection of scented candles has suffered a considerable impact and now sits off-kilter. Sadly, many of the glass jars had fallen at some point and now lay in pieces below. Psi will be disappointed when she finds the brightly colored wax piles, even if she was the reason they had been broken in the first place.

The shards of broken glass reflect the light of the hall up to the bed which Sigma finds empty. Psi isn't here. There's only one other place she could be.

Despite the rigorous suppression of the second class's sexual nature to the point of nonexistence, some old traditions had still been kept for the Nines. One such tradition was the split housing for male and female parasites. It is with a twinge of annoyance Sigma returns to his half of the living quarters. Omega's room was at the end of the hall directly opposite his own, but checking for Psi there hadn't crossed his mind when she failed to attend breakfast this morning.

"You know, Psi?" Sigma asks, knocking on the door. There is a muffled sound on the other side of the door, but even Sigma's enhanced hearing is unable to make out the source. "You know, Psi, I'm coming in."

Unlike Psi's room, which had been dark and a cluttered mess, Omega's room is pristine. His desk still has the same stack of manuals he had kept beside the monitor. The shades to the window are pushed aside and the sunlight fills the room with a sense of life. The only thing out of place is that the sliding door to his closet has been pushed aside. Within the closet, among the various articles of clothing, is a bare hanger. In the reflection from the mirror planted inside, Sigma can see what he's come for.

Psi sleeps soundly beneath the covers of the bed.

"Ahem," Sigma clears his throat. His efforts bear fruit as Psi stirs.

The blue-haired Nine rolls over onto her back and yawns. She sits up and stretches, revealing that she is wearing the missing coat belonging to Omega. Psi wipes her eyes as Sigma shakes his head. The coat is too large and almost slips off her shoulders, in addition to being unzipped. Were it not for the blanket, he would be able to see all of his squad leader's undergarments. As it is, the blanket covers Psi's lower half so only a sliver of her white bra is visible.

"You know, you missed breakfast," Sigma says.

"I... did," Psi nods after catching a glimpse of the digital clock on the bedside table.

"You know, I also see that you have chosen to sleep in nonregulation attire," he points out.

Psi pulls the jacket tighter. "I feel closer to him like this." The answer is without remorse.