Chapter 52- One Step Forward

Nothing. Absolutely nothing. That was what this mission had turned up so far.

That they had delved nearly to the bottom of this Klaxosaur nest and still hadn't found the princess was more than agitating. It was only a recon mission so they weren't to engage her regardless, but to Alpha the idea of testing himself against such a powerful foe was incredibly tempting.

The lead Nine exhales through his nose, sighing in the process at the lack of progress.

After having revealed herself by destroying a Garden single-handedly, the Nines were assigned to find the Klaxosaur Princess as quickly as possible. The rebellion presented a threat, but when compared to the raw destructive power of the humanoid Klaxosaur she'd ridden they were nothing. Hence, they were to be ignored by the elite soldiers for the time being.

Only he and Beta were present at this nest, the remaining Nines having been split between the other two holes the pests liked to crawl into.

"Hey Alpha," Beta calls from up ahead. "I believe we've found it."

M9 Prime moves to stand beside its comrade. The "it" Beta was referring to is the cavernous room all Klaxosaur nests possessed as their central chamber. It was never certain where exactly inside the nest it would be, though going further down increased the odds of finding it. Regardless of location, this chamber always housed the Klaxosaur responsible for the nest. If the princess were here, this is where she'd be.

The sprawling subterranean space is illuminated by a single large pillar near the center. It glows a phosphorescent blue stretching from the floor to the ceiling of the cavern, where it segments into what looks like the roots of a tree.

"Their choice in decor will never cease to amaze me," Beta muses as his FranXX steps over the ledge and drops the short distance to the earth below.

Alpha snickers. "They're beasts, what did you expect?"

Up to this point the Klaxosaurs encountered by the duo had been only of Conrad or Mohorovicic class. Calling them child's play to deal with would be an insult to children. The Klaxosaur Princess however would be a battle worth fighting, though another Brood Mother like the former Squad 13 had encountered in their mission to an abandoned magma mine would be of some interest at least.

As the two units make their way across the cavern there is a deafening screech. The FranXX pause and shoot one another a glance before drawing their weapons. Alpha readies his spear while Beta unslings the rifle stashed over his shoulder, plucked from the losers of Alpha's test match many months ago.

Chips of the glowing pillar come clattering down, knocked loose by something moving within the uppermost roots.

"Be ready to fire on my command," Alpha whispers. "Not a moment before."

More of the pillar crashes against the cavern floor. This time chunks as big as the head of a FranXX are among them.

Beta shoulders the rifle and takes aim at the top of the column. "Whatever is up there, it is not pleased to see us."

Another shriek pierces the air. Then a shadow appears, cast against the roots.

Alpha squints to make out the figure as it comes into view.

The large reptile's head is the first thing to become visible. It is thin and scaly, with a gaping maw housing two rows of razor-sharp teeth. Two horns protrude from the monster's head, but they would look more fitting on a deer or moose as antlers than on this creature.

Next is the torso, which is much wider than the head and neck with a pair of wings sprouting from its back.

Never before has Alpha seen a Klaxosaur with wings. Nor has he seen one that could fly. Judging by the muscle that can be seen, this one might really be capable of just that.