Chapter 32- The Battle of the Third Garden (Part 1)

Hey everyone, we're back with a big update! Sorry that it took so long to get this out but I can assure you we aren't dead and the story is still being worked on. The holidays are busy, aren't they?  Anyway, at the end of the chapter you'll find links to some simple layout drawing of the Garden and a little something extra that you won't want to miss. 

"Cobalt, what's your status?" you say, voice echoing through Delphinium's cockpit. The moisture from your breath hangs in the air in the brisk spring morning. The morning is so cold in fact that a light snowfall has begun. The flakes lazily drift down from the sky before landing on the packed powder from the night before.

"We are nearing the objective," the squad leader's cool voice rings out, tone nearly matching the morning. "How are things progressing on your end?"

Looking through the monitors that depict your surroundings, everything is quiet. Delphinium is perched below the crook of one of several hills just north of the Garden. To the east lies a forest of conifers. The green of the trees is complemented beautifully by the powdery white of the freshly fallen snow.

Two FranXX stand guard at the northeast corner of the facility. To their west, another two pickets are stationed. According to the information you have about the defenses, three additional pairs are acting as lookouts at similar intervals around the perimeter of the Garden.

In addition to the FranXX is the massive wall that surrounds the Garden itself. High caliber cannons, much larger than those the plantations sport, are visible on the battlements along with a variety of point defense systems and other hidden weapons.

A slight click draws your attention to Sylvestris, who is sitting cross-legged in the valley below. The FranXX in question is adjusting the dials of her crossbow just to the right of its receiver. Changing the positions modifies the magnetic field used to propel the bolts from the crossbow, and over the past several months she'd taken great care to learn everything there was to know about them. She had proved to the most capable marksman in the entire rebel force, consistently outshooting Chlorophytum at a distance of over two miles.

Two additional FranXX wait nearby. Argentea twitches nervously and plays with her hands, which causes you to smile. I teach her all that combat discipline and she still can't sit still. Heliconia isn't much better, polishing her blades of her tonfas vigorously. Neither speaks, but it's clear that the FranXX are past ready to get the ball rolling.

"We're ready, Cobalt," Delphinium replies. "You're clear to proceed." There is a brief pause before Kyo says, "Roger that, Strike 1. Cobalt, Crimson, Charcoal, Coral, move out."

"Think they'll be alright?" Argentea asks after the line falls silent. "Valkyra is strong and a capable leader," Sylvestris says coolly, not looking up from her work, before stopping as if that was all there was to be said. Translation: they'll be fine.

The pink mech doesn't seem satisfied with the answer, but doesn't press the subject further. On your private line, Delphinium whispers, "They'll be alright, won't they?" You give a small sigh. "I don't know, love," is your answer. "Valkyra will do everything she can, but in the end that might not be enough." She puffs her cheek in response. "I hate this feeling of being uncertain," she groans. "Me too," you agree, as silence falls upon the group once more.

Now for the hardest part: waiting.

Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Atop the battlements of the Garden, an APE soldier huddles beside a small heater. It isn't nearly enough to make the frigid morning comfortable, but it does help with alleviating the worst of the cold. Rubbing his hands together before peeking over the edge, he isn't shocked by the group of FranXX he sees approaching from the south-east. It isn't uncommon for the Garden's parasites to sortie and deal with the occasional Klaxosaur, and monitoring the comings and goings was frankly more effort than it was worth.