Chapter 48 - Solemn Aftermath

Alright everyone, we're back. Now before you take up the pitchforks and amass the mob there is something I'd like you to know. Ichigo's death was planned from the beginning. It wasn't thrown in later on for shock factor or to undercut you. If you feel betrayed by that I apologize, but things were always going to be this way. There is still a lot of story left to tell and I promise we won't be staying in this pit of sadness forever. I hope you will all join us for the epic conclusion of Insurrection that we've been working toward for almost two years now. I hope you will all continue to join us for the remainder of the story, and the epic conclusion that we've been working toward for almost two years now.

Secondly, the decision has been made to open up the discord server that Spaze, myself, and the patrons use to the public so that we may all enjoy talking about Insurrection together. You can use the link below to join after typing it into your favorite browser. 

Link: discord.gg/Jwf4m65

Last, after some deliberation, Spaze decided he wasn't entirely satisfied with the depictions of Zero Two in her wedding dress and the infamous Nine Psi. Both have been updated so you can view the new versions in the Imgur galleries already linked in previous chapters (or using the links in the discord server!)

When you wake in your bed back in the master suite of Haven's manor you feel warm, not at all how it should be. As a matter of fact, you had sweat all night. The soft breathing of the bed's other occupants to both of your sides reminds you of the culprits.

Last night was the second time Asuna and Asada had slept on the king-sized mattress with you. The girls curled up tightly to you beneath the sheets causing all three of you to sweat, but none of you really cared about the moisture. Clumps of matted hair stick to either of their sleeping faces, which look at peace for the first time in days. Once they wake up, their peaceful faces will go back to reflecting the sadness the three of you have come to know.

Fortunately for your daughters, sleep is an escape from the nightmare they're living. You aren't as lucky.

Every time you close your eyes, she's waiting for you. Sometimes it's happy memories from the past, like eating that terrible dinner as a family. Others it's of arguments the two of you had, such as the one at the Garden the day of your first time. The most common, however, was from three days ago.

The pained look in her eyes as the dagger sank into her chest. The tears she had cried, telling you to take care of the daughters she would never see again. Her gentle hand on your cheek as she told you this wasn't your fault. The cold silence after she took her last breath.

It's overwhelming. Day and night, no matter where you are, the guilt of what's happened threatens to crush you. Were it not for Asuna and Asada you might have done something drastic to escape the pain. But you can't. They need you now more than they ever have before. Putting on a brave face for them is your top priority, because you have to be here for them.

As such, you lay quietly in the bed without moving or making a sound. The girls had cried themselves to sleep again last night, and each moment they were free from the pain of reality was a blessing. Seeing their suffering only served to make yours worse.

It is nearly 1000 when the first twin stirs. Unlike usual, it is Asuna who has awoken. The blonde girl yawns and balls her little hands into fists to rub the sleep from her eyes.

"Hey, sweet pea," you whisper.

Asuna scrunches her facial features. "It's morning."

You nod. "Yeah, it is. How would you like a warm bath to help you wake up?"