Chapter 24 - Unexpected Allies

"Excellent," Doctor Franxx smiles, shaking your hand happily. "Now that we're working together, there are a great many things we should discuss. Shall we go inside?"

"Forgive us, doctor," you say, "but we aren't ready to invite you into our home just yet." A hint of amusement appears in his eyes. "Ah," the man nods in understanding. "That is to be expected, of course. Might I propose my own home, then?" He gestures to the small dropship in the park.

Well, that's unexpected.

"How do we know we can trust you not to turn us over to APE?" Zero Two growls. "Nana will remain here with those that stay behind," the scientist responds all too eagerly. "She's been worried sick about you children since your escape." Nana's eyes shoot up in surprise. "Doctor!" she protests. "Why lie?" the old man asks, giving Nana a questioning look. "You have worried about them. I distinctly remember Hachi having to explain that'd they left because you were too busy crying." Nana's face flushes with color and she averts her eyes from those of you on the porch. "Besides," Dr. Franxx concludes, "you want to be here with them. You'll be happy, they'll be happy, and you'll stop mothering me. Everyone wins."

About the time Doctor Franxx begins his lecture to Nana, you hear footsteps coming from within the manor. As he finishes, a voice cries out from behind you. "Nana!" A flash of red and white jets between you and Zero Two as Miku throws her arms around your former caretaker. "Nana! They told us Plantation 13 was destroyed. We thought you and Hachi died because we left!"

Despite her previous objection, Nana naturally returns to her former self in an instant. "There, there," she says while she strokes Miku's hair gently. "I'm sorry we worried you. Hachi and I are both fine."

"Hachi!" Kokoro blows past you and embraces the taller man. Hachi looks equal parts uncomfortable and unsure of how to react in this situation. From the time you'd known him, he'd never been good at showing emotion... or handling those that were prone to it, for that matter. After glancing around for several seconds and seeing that Kokoro shows no signs of releasing him, he gingerly pats her shoulder.

The doctor grins from ear to ear, signaling his pleasure with how the situation has turned out. "It's settled then. Hachi, you shall stay as well." For the first time ever, Hachi shows either fear or confusion. You can't decide which as he stands there, wide-eyed. However, he makes no attempt to fight it. "Yes, doctor."

"Now, up to six of you may come with me for the time being," Doctor Franxx strokes his mustache while examining the group that has now formed behind you. "Zero Two, Hiro, Ichigo, (Y/N), and Codes 030 and 090."

"Why us, doctor?" Kana asks. "Call it a whim," he replies, turning to walk back down the path.

"Where are you going?" Miku asks, her cracked voice betraying her feelings of concern. "To the doctor's private facility," Ichigo explains. "Not all of us," you state. "Ichigo, Hiro, stay here."

Ichigo immediately objects. "If you think that–" "Taking away all of our leadership at the same time is a bad idea," you cut her off. "We won't be long. Besides, you've got Nana and Hachi to catch up with." You kiss the top of her head and walk away. She gives you a disappointed smile, knowing that it's the best thing to do but not wanting to do so.

"He's right," Zero Two adds, her tone still guarded. "Darling, I'll be back soon." She kisses Hiro and follows Doctor Franxx down the drive.

Similarly, Kana and Kyo reassure their squads and make their way toward the park.

The four of you catch Doctor Franxx before he has even left the manor's drive. "So, you decided to come," he says. "If you say there is something we need to see," you look down at the balding man, "then it's probably something important." He gives you a slight chuckle before saying, "Indeed."