Chapter 25- Frustrated

Following the elevator ride, your group is led through the facility by the ever-present Freya. The trip takes you back through the forge, where the smell of sulfur and ozone is once again overpowering. Zero Two grimaces and pinches her nose in response. Considering the addition of the smells and her heightened senses, the sounds of the heavy machinery must be incredibly bothersome.

Zero Two looks relieved when you leave the hot and noisy environment and return to the sterile hallway leading to the hangar. No one really speaks, and Freya is quiet as well.

You watch the artificial intelligence with a hint of skepticism. Franxx said she could destroy this whole facility if she really wanted to. Or, she could just go and turn us all in to APE. I just can't imagine her doing that, though. She's so polite, and does everything the doctor asks without hesitation. She even left when it was undeniably clear the conversation was going to be about her. She's definitely a person in that she can think for herself... but she doesn't strike me as someone who'd betray us. If anything, she's our biggest asset.

The doors to the hangar open, revealing the variety of transports at the doctor's disposal. Freya leads you to the left, where most of the small- to medium-sided craft seem to be stored. You recognize the one you'd arrived on earlier as you walk past, but Freya makes no effort to stop you there.

As you step past the transport, something surprising catches your eye. Near one of the transports is a girl. With your view coming at her from the side, you can see she has brown hair laying straight down that reaches slightly past her shoulders. The standard grey uniform she wears hardly does anything to differentiate her from the dull metal exterior of the aircraft behind her.

The girl must hear you coming, because she turns to face your party. Now that you have a better view of her, her clear blue eyes and vacant expression catch your attention. Or they would have, if the right sleeve of her uniform wasn't coiled due to the lack of an arm to fill it. Behind you, Kana gasps as she, too, realizes that the girl is missing an arm.

Freya stops beside the craft and the rear gate begins to lower.

The girl takes her skirt in her only hand and curtseys. "It is a pleasure to meet you all. My name is Naomi," she introduces herself. "Doctor Franxx has requested that I return to the village of Haven with you." For a moment she almost looks disappointed, but she quickly hides it. "He told me that I would be joining Squad 13. Are you them?"

"Partially," you answer. "Zero Two and I are," you indicate to yourself and the pink-haired girl. "Kana and Kyo are the former squad leaders of Plantations 26 and 56." The girl called Naomi nods, almost to herself. "Does that mean there are others?" she asks. Her eyes widen and pitch jumps a little as she says it, but both are nearly imperceptible.

"My darling is there," Zero Two says in response, walking past her and into the transport. Naomi stares after her, confused, as she walks past. "Forgive her," you say after Kana and Kyo introduce themselves and board. "Zero Two is a bit, well... standoffish. Until you get to know her, at least."

You offer Naomi your left hand. "I'm (Y/N)." She takes it and shakes. It's a little awkward, since she only has one hand, and you're using your nondominant one. However, the two of you complete the gesture just fine.

"(Y/N)," Freya keeps you from extending the greeting any further. "If you wish to reach Haven by nightfall, we will need to leave immediately." You give her a thin, rueful smile. "Right," you say, scratching your neck with your left hand while ushering Naomi into the transport with your right. "After you."

Naomi steps onboard and you follow suit. The aircraft's engines spin up, and a moment later there is a jolt as you lift off.

This transport's interior is different than the one you'd rode in on earlier. Instead of having a lab, there is large holotable in the center of the cargo bay. On either wall are stations for communications or logistics officers. However, the lounge area is unchanged and tucked beneath the cockpit, complete with shelves of books and a recliner. This one is slightly larger, boasting two couches in addition to a table with chairs.