Chapter 17

Steve and I walked back up the stairs to the living room side by side and were still talking about all sorts of things. " Have you seen Bucky? Since I brought him back last night, nobody seems to have seen him anywhere", I wanted to know and his facial expression became serious. " I saw him at the lake this morning, but when he noticed me he disappeared into the woods", he said, and I could clearly hear the concern in his voice. I gently put my hand on his arm and smiled at him. " Bucky's a fighter. He gets over it, just like he does every time", I tried to cheer him up and he nodded absently. „I'll go upstairs and take a shower and then I'll go find him", I decided, and Steve looked at me in surprise. „What has become of him to give time?" he wanted to know. " I didn't say I was gonna talk to him. Not if he doesn't want to. But we have to eat", I explained and he nodded.

Said done. After a quick shower, I went into the kitchen and made some sandwiches. I also took some drinks and fruit and packed everything in a backpack. I ran towards the woods, looking for Bucky, until I finally spotted him in a small huntsman's stand in a clearing. He noticed me before I stepped out of the shadows, but he didn't seem to want to run away, so I approached him slowly. " I don't want to talk", he said as I came within hearing range and I nodded with a gentle smile. „I know, Buck, you don't have to. But I brought something to eat", I explained and he looked relieved. I sat down with him on the wooden floor of the small high-seat and handed him a sandwich, which he gratefully accepted. He crushed one by one and I ate a few grapes in silence. " What would I do without you?" he asked quietly when he was finished.

"Starving", I returned dry, and at last a small smile was stolen from his lips. " There's the Bucky I know", I said with a grin and his smile widened. „My life-saver", he said only and gave me a gentle kiss on the head. „I'm here for you. Always", I just answered and we both knew it was a promise. He put an arm around my shoulder and pulled me towards him so that my head rested on his neck. " Will you come home with me later?" I wanted to know and felt him nod after a short hesitation. " I should probably talk to Steve", he said, and this time I was the one nodding. " He's quite worried", I added, and he sighed deeply. „I know. But I'm just not ready to talk about it all yet", he whispered. „I know", I just said. I swore I would never push him into telling me anything.

After a few hours we spent here, it started to get cold and I started to shiver. " Let's go inside," Bucky said when he noticed this and jumped into the grass. I landed next to him and we strolled side by side back to the main building where we ran into Steve. " Hey you two," he greeted us, smiling a little uncertainly at Bucky. " Sorry I just took off," he apologized now and Steve just waved it off with a wave of his hand. " I'm just glad you're back," he added and Bucky breathed a sigh of relief. We went inside and no sooner had we entered the entryway Wanda met us with a huge bowl of popcorn. " Will you join us?" she wanted to know and told us to come along. In the living room the others had already made themselves comfortable with a few drinks and were talking happily. I sank down on the sofa next to my brother and Nat handed me a glass of wine.

The only one missing in the round was Loki, but after his behaviour towards me I didn't plan to go looking for him either. Clint snapped me out of my thoughts by trying to lift Mjölnir. Thor just laughed softly as one after another tried to lift his hammer and failed miserably. With Steve, he actually moved a tiny bit and Thor's grin disappeared for a split second. I had to stifle a laugh when I saw the horrified look on his face. " Your turn Alex," Steve prompted me when he didn't make it and I pushed my sleeves up a bit as I stood up. I stood firmly in front of the table Mjölnir was standing on and grabbed the handle. I took a deep breath and pulled on the hammer. " Oh my god," I heard Nat whisper as I held the hammer in my hand and turned to Thor, grinning. " You are worthy," was all he said, looking at me amazed.