Chapter 21

A few days had passed since the incident in the training room and Loki and I had decided to take it slow. I was standing in the kitchen preparing dinner when my mind wandered back to his perfectly curved lips that made my emotions go crazy with just a gossamer touch. " What are you smiling about?," Steve's voice snapped me out of my thoughts and in shock I dropped the large kitchen knife clattering to the floor. " Careful shortie, you'll stab someone," he said with a laugh and I just looked at him crossly. Still grinning, he began to help me chop up the ingredients and looked at me waiting. " Nothing important," I evaded and quickly turned away again so he wouldn't see the blush that shot into my cheeks.

"You're hiding something from me", he continued, and a strand of his blond hair fell into his forehead. „Well me and Loki". . , I began and he turned to me with wide-open eyes. We have come closer", I continued quietly, looking at him with a shy smile. His gaze softened as he gently placed a hand on my shoulder. " I'm happy for you, Alex. You deserve to be happy", he said, and a broad smile sneaking on my lips. „And what about you? Nat seems to like you very much", I distracted the subject and we went back to work. " That's not the case. We're just friends", he replied, and I couldn't help laughing. " Sure. Just friends", I repeated his words sarcastically, and he gave me an admonishing look, which was immediately attenuated by the grin on his face.

"What smells so good in here?" Tony ended our conversation and came to us in a good mood. " We're making dinner", I explained to him, pointing to the chicken that meanwhile was sizzling in the oven. " Smells fantastic", he commented and steals a piece of mozzarella, which was meant for the sauce. " You are definitely siblings", said Steve, alluding to my pancake theft the first morning here. " Oh, by the way, Rogers, your cyborg buddy, has been running around for hours. Is that normal for men your age, or is there something wrong with this guy?" Tony threw in and Steve and I exchanged a worried look. Bucky was here again, but he had withdrawn further. " We should talk to him. It was rarely bad this time", I told him, and he frowned thoughtfully before nodding.

We left Tony in the kitchen and went outside, where Bucky seemed to be jogging around the lake again. " I'm worried about him. He always reacted extremely, but this time it's different, and he didn't even hurt anyone", I expressed my thoughts and Steve shook his head in a puzzled way. „That's the first time since he's been with us. We had told him he would be safe here", he replied bitterly. „I promised him everything would be okay", he added, and I sighed. „So did I", I whispered, watching our friend run towards us. „Bucky-", I began as he came to a stop in front of us but he interrupted me immediately. " I'm fine", he gasped completely out of breath and I made a step towards him. " No, you're not", I said quietly, but he backed away before me.

"Look at me," I begged him but his gaze was fixed stubbornly on the floor. " Buck there are not many things more obvious than the fact that you are anything but okay. We just want to help you," Steve interjected, but Bucky just shook his head. " I just want to be alone, okay?," Bucky replied but his voice was little more than a whisper. Resignedly I took a few steps backwards but when he showed no movement I turned around and went back inside. I couldn't help him if he wouldn't let me. Completely shaken up, I went upstairs and didn't even realize where I was running until I was standing in front of Loki's door. I knocked lightly on the white painted wood and his muffled voice rang out from inside, "The door is open. " I slipped into the room and Loki lifted his eyes from the book he must have been engrossed in.

"Hey darling", he greeted me smiling and put his book aside. Invitingly, he extended his arms and I lay down next to him in bed. Sighing, I lowered my head to his chest and breathed in the scent of leather and lime. " What's on your mind?" he wanted to know and started playing with my hair. " Bucky. I'm worried about him, Loki", I explained quietly and felt him gently kiss me on the top of the head. " I know sweetheart but Bucky is a fighter and you and Rogers are going to help him through it", he assured me and I turned around so I could look at him. " I promised him this wouldn't happen again. I should have stopped it", I whispered and my eyes filled with tears. He gently took my face in his hands and looked me seriously in the eyes.

"You're his friend, but you're not responsible for him. It wasn't your fault. You must never talk yourself into such a thing", he said and let go of me only when I nodded hesitantly. He pulled me back to him and I closed my eyes for a brief moment. Loki gently stroked my back and slowly I began to relax in his arms. " Thank you", I whispered, and could swear he now had that typical grin on his face. " I will always be there", he replied lovingly and something told me that was a promise for eternity. We lay there for a few minutes in silence before I looked up at him again. I put my hand down his neck and pulled myself up a little bit so I could put my lips on his. The kiss was loving and said everything I couldn't say. And that was all we needed right now.