Chapter 22

I opened my eyes and blinked at the rising sun shining through the window. I stretched and swung my legs out of bed yawning as Jarvis voice rang out. " Good morning, Miss Stark. Your brother sends word that breakfast is ready and to come downstairs," he informed me and I briefly thanked the AI. After a quick shower, I slipped into a pair of comfortable black jeans and a tight dark green top before heading downstairs. The house was completely silent which indicated that the others were probably all out. In fact, the main room was empty when I entered it and only my brother was making a mess in the kitchen. " There you are," Tony greeted me happily and came out from behind the kitchen counter. Grinning, he wrapped me in his arms and murmured, "Happy birthday little one. "

"Thank you. Where are the others?," I wanted to know while he pulled me over to the table where a large plate of all sorts of goodies were waiting for me. " Thor and Loki had to go to New Asgard to sort something out, Peter's at school, Clint went to see his family and the rest are on a smaller mission," he explained to me. Nodding thoughtfully, I made my way over the mountain of waffles, which tasted surprisingly good by Tony's cooking standards. " Hey what do you think about a party tonight?," he wanted to know after a short silence and winked at me conspiratorially. I just sighed rolling my eyes. " You know I don't like to make a big deal out of my birthday, Tony. The others don't even know it's today," I added, but he nudged me in the side with his elbow encouraging. " Come on this will be great," he assured me and eventually I gave in.

By the time I finished eating, he was pulling me along. " Where are we going?" I wanted to know laughing while he pulled me towards the front door. But instead of answering, he just said, "Close your eyes. " Sighing, I did as he said and already he was maneuvering me outside. He gently pushed me down and I sat down. Just as I was about to ask him what the whole thing was about I felt something wet nudge against the back of my hand. Surprised, I opened my eyes and almost started screaming with joy when I saw the Rottweiler puppy sniffing me curiously. Wide-eyed, I looked up at Tony who was grinning proudly at me. " You've been nagging me for ages about how you'd like a dog so I thought I'd grant you that wish,' he explained and I just fell happily around his neck in response.

"Have you thought of a name?" Tony wanted to know when he came back outside a few hours later, where I was still playing with my new little friend. " I was thinking of Apollo", I said, and he nodded with a gentle smile. By the way, the others are back", he let me know and I rose from the grass. Grinning, I noticed that Apollo was following me and went inside with him. Steve watched in amazement between me and the puppy. " What did I miss?", finally he wants to know. " May I introduce that's Apollo", I explained with a grin. Before one of us could say anything, the rest of us came to us and Bucky gave me a loving hug. " Happy Birthday", he whispered to me and kissed me on the forehead. „Wait a minute, it's your birthday?" Nat hooking up completely perplexed and I nodded shrugging my shoulders.

"How come none of us knew about this?" Peter wanted to know and sounded almost a little offended. " I don't like to make a big deal out of it", I said, but he didn't seem to be really satisfied with the answer. " Oh, come on, that's something to celebrate", replied Wanda and looked at me sternly. " I'm on it. Tonight it will be done properly", said Tony before I could make a point. You are such a pain in the ass", I said only with a laugh and the others agreed. We talked about tonight for a while, but at some point Loki took my hand and pulled me into the hallway to the conference room. " What's up?" I wanted to know playfully while he wrapped his arms around my waist. " You have to tell me something like that sooner, otherwise I have to improvise", he said only and I looked at him questioningly.

Without saying a word, he let go of me and in his hands appeared a beautiful rose in a soft golden glow. As the remnants of his magic faded, I gently took off his flower and looked up at him with a broad smile. " Don't think that's all. But for the rest I need a bit more time", he added quietly. „Loki-", I began to protest, but he silenced me with a gentle kiss. " Don't say it. You deserve all the gifts in the world", he added, and I blushed. „You're cute when you're embarrassed", he commented, which didn't necessarily make the situation better, but he knew it. He knew exactly what he was doing to me when he looked at me like that and gave me this sincere, loving smile.