Chapter 19

We sat by the window for hours more, talking about all sorts of things, until the first rays of sunlight bathed the room in a warm light. " Want some breakfast?," Loki asked at one point, and as if on cue, my stomach started grumbling. " I'll take that as a yes," he said with a laugh and stood up. He stretched and his shirt sliding up a bit, giving me a glimpse of his finely defined book muscles. Grinning, he lowered his arms again and I blushed. Embarrassed, I averted my eyes and heard him laugh softly. " Come on," he urged me, holding out his hand. I placed my fingers in his and he gently pulled me up before we walked side by side over to the kitchen. " What are you in the mood for? Eggs? Bacon? Pancakes?," He asked and I just laughed. " Yes," I replied and he raised his eyebrows with a grin. " Okay, division of labor. I'll make pancakes and you make eggs and bacon," I decided and he nodded.

Soon a wonderful fragrance passed through the large room and I heard the first steps coming down the stairs. " I smell breakfast", Thor exclaimed happierly and his eyes widhed as he saw me and his brother working around in the kitchen. He dropped himself on one of the bar stools at the top of the countertop and, with a hinted bow, I placed a large plate of deliciously fragrant food in front of him. " Thank you, little warrior", he said and made his way over the mountain of scrambled eggs. It was not long before the others came in one after another and rushed greedily for breakfast. Only Peter seemed to have overslept again because he was now completely out of breath and hurried down with his backpack over his shoulder. " Slowly kiddo", I told him, smirking as he stumbled over the carpet.

"Sorry, I'm just late again and the bus leaves in five minutes", he explained in a hurry and slipped into his sneakers. " When do you have to be in school", I asked, and he looked up at me confused. Half past seven, why?" he replied, and I put a portion of eggs and bacon on a plate. " Come here and eat something. I'll drive you later", I decided, and his face brightened up. „Thank you Alex", he replied, dropping into the chair next to Steve, who grinted at me. I just shrugged my shoulders and went over my pancakes. However, he was unusually quiet, which was not only noticeable to me. " What's going on kid?", Nat finally wanted to know and Peter bowed his head. " Well today is career day and actually everyone brings their parents, and then they present their profession. It's a kind of career orientation. But Aunt May is sick and Mr. Stark is away on a buisiness trip so I'm the only one bringing nobody," he explained and the whole room went silent.

No one said a word and when we had finished eating I sent Peter ahead to get his things. " We're helping him," I hissed softly to the others and Wanda nodded eagerly. " We'll meet you at school. Who is better for a career day than a team of superheroes," Sam joined in with a grin and with a curt nod the matter was settled. I grabbed the keys to Tony's car and headed to the garage where Peter was already waiting. I dropped him off at the school and he thanked me again before trotting dejectedly to the main entrance. Barely ten minutes later, the Quinjet landed in the parking lot. I grinned at the others who all came out in their suits and we went inside. After a quick trip to the secretary's office, it wasn't hard to find the classroom and I sped in. Peter was sitting in a chair to the right of us, looking anything but happy. A dark-haired guy stood next to him, laughing and talking at him.

I glanced over my shoulder at the others and pushed the door open. All heads snapped around to us as we stood grinning next to Peter who was staring at us in amazement. " Sorry kiddo, are we late?," I asked him and he shook his head with wide eyes. " Great!," Thor exclaimed, playing around with Mjolnir a bit. " Um are you Peters-," the teacher began uncertainly and seemed completely overwhelmed. " Yes, we thought we'd introduce our profession," Nat said, clearly having to stifle a laugh at the reaction of the class. The completely perplexed teacher gestured for us to come forward and Peter followed with a proud grin. " So these are the Avengers," he introduced us and exchanged a quick glance with me. " Thank you," he formed his lips and I just nodded at him with a smile.

After we all introduced ourselves, Peter asked for more questions and immediately at least a dozen hands jumped up. " How do you know Peter?" the dark-haired boy who had previously spoken to Peter wanted to know something mocking. " He got the internship from Tony Stark and is therefore in the lab at our headquarters quite often", explained Steve, leaving out the huge part where Peter is Spiderman. " How do you receive a reception? I mean that's Loki and he's not exactly a good person and you've never heard of her before", asked a girl and pointed at me. „Loki has changed and joined the team via Thor and I via my brother", I explained and she looked at me curiously. I had just introduced myself as Alex, so no one knew I was Tony " s sister. " Who is her brother?" came the expected follow-up question. " Tony Stark", I replied grinning and a murmur went through the room.