Chapter 17 - Improv Date

Edited by punkashellcat

School is this horrible thought always in the back of your mind no matter where you are or what you're doing. Thing is, it just haunts you when you're not in it. Then you go back to school and it really isn't as bad as you have dreaded it would be the entire night before as you lay awake thinking about getting up the next morning.

And then you run into Crystal Lee and all those thoughts of school being even that little bit bearable completely vanish.

"Oh hey Ellie," Crystal greeted me in a sickly sweet, completely plastic tone. I was mentally bracing myself for whatever she was about to say or do because if anything was transparent, other than her top of course, it was the tone of voice she was using.

Acknowledging Crystal with one of those tight lipped smiles that practically scream 'I don't want to see you but now that I have I am socially obligated to give this utterly fake smile', I tried to continue walking in the direction of my locker but Crystal's minions blocked my path.

"Leaving so soon Wannabe? Going to see one of those many boys you keep around?" Crystal asked innocently, her purposefully loud voice drawing a crowd because it seemed that recently, where Crystal was there was always drama. And you know teenagers, we live on sleep, food, internet and drama.

"I don't know what you're talking about," I mumbled, all my previous confidence completely sapped dry. I tried to back away but I was in the middle of a circle now with eager onlookers watching the conflict in front of them. Crystal was advancing towards me with an evil, predatory look in her eyes.

"Really? No clue? You're not going off to do it with one of those older guys in the bushes or the backseat of his car again?" Crystal asked, making up idiotic accusations with the pure, or maybe not so pure intent of embarrassing me in front of a crowd. My face burned with embarrassment as I tried and failed to find the words to defend myself. With all these people gossiping about what was going on around me, I just had no idea how to speak anymore. "Maybe you'll kick it up a notch and do it in the bathroom next time. You are that desperate," Crystal sneered at me.

"You're the only one who does it in public bathrooms Crystal," I quipped in response, my mouth moving on its own accord and as soon as the words left my mouth, I regretted it. The whole crowd watching erupted in a chorus of 'oooooh' and Crystal's face paled. Seeing her reaction made me take back my regret at the words I had spoken. It had been completely and utterly worth it.

"How the hell did you know about that?" She hissed at me and a chuckle forced it's way up my throat and through my unwilling lips.

With a sympathetic grimace, I shrugged my shoulders. "I didn't," I replied and she stormed up to me so she was in my face now.

"Oh you little slut," she spat and I was sure she was about to slap me but before the crowd could start egging us on to fight, Jordan appeared out of nowhere.

How the heck did everyone manage to arrive at just the right time? I mean, no one actually had this perfect sense of timing, did they? I thought that kind of stuff only ever happened in books and movies and things. But then again, my life had basically been based off of a movie script recently.

"What's your problem Crystal?" Jordan demanded, taking my hand and pulling me over to his side and out of Crystal's direct line of fire.

"Why do you waste your time on this whore?" Crystal asked Jordan condescendingly and  I felt the confidence I had found earlier when I was talking back to her shrivel up into dust as I shrunk in on myself.

"I can only see one whore in this hallway Crystal and I'm looking right at her," Jordan retorted and Crystal's jaw dropped along with everyone else's, including mine. Jordan was defending me! Oh my gosh I was going to die.