Chapter 14 - Football Game

Let's get something straight here first. I hate sports. I hate them. I just don't understand them. I grew up with Adam so I know the majority of the rules but that doesn't help me because what really confuses me is why people would willingly participate in them. You are putting yourself in a position to get injured. Willingly. I just didn't get why people would do something like that.

Then again, maybe that was just me and traumatic childhood experiences.

You see a good few years ago, Zach and Adam went through their 'sporty' phase. That one where they wanted to play every single sport they could think of. The only problem was, they usually wanted to be on the same team so they needed another person to play against. That's where I came in.

Basketball, tennis, soccer, badminton, cricket, volleyball, ice hockey, lacrosse, handball, baseball and football. I'd played them all with Zach and Adam. I'd also gotten three black eyes, chipped a tooth, sprained both ankles and both wrists, fractured my ankle, broken my arm in two places and had to get stitches on my knee, both elbows and the back of my head. By the end of their sporty phase, the hospital knew me pretty well. Its pretty safe to say that paying sports is not on my agenda. Ever. Again.

Friday night football games were an exception to dislike of sports. This was for one reason and one reason only.

Jordan Taylors.

That's why Shauna and I were getting into Adam's car with Adam and Zach. I had dark, navy skinny jeans, a fitted white t-shirt and a navy blue hoodie with white strings as well as a clip in navy bow keeping my bangs out of my face. If you hadn't guessed, our school colors are navy and white. I only went to see Jordan running around, I didn't need to coordinate colors for that but Shauna insisted for school spirit purposes. Go team! Go Bulldogs? Tigers? Knights? I'm not the school spirit kind of person, I tune all of that out. It hurts my brain.

Anyway, the point is, despite how much I hated sports and how little I was bothered by my school and spirit, I went to football games because of Jordan Taylors and as long as he was playing, I'd be there to watch. Be serious now, who wouldn't want to watch that?

Jordan Taylors, cue dreamy sigh.

*     *     *     *     *

"You broke him!" Adam hissed, pointing his finger at me with an accusatory glare as he held me back while Shauna and Zach continued on. The crowd was buzzing with chatter as the pushed their way towards the bleachers to take their seat. Everyone this side was wearing at least something white or navy blue, not to would be going against the team. Even if you wore a pair of navy jeans you were okay.

Some people went overboard though, wearing their own team jerseys, their face painted white and navy with the school crest on their cheeks, their hair spray painted navy and white for the occasion and naturally wearing everything else navy and white. I bet their underwear was navy and white.

Pulling my attention away from the fans milling around us, I squinted confused eyes up at Adam. "What the hell are you talking about?" I asked, raising my eyebrows and leaning away from him enough that he would notice and either calm down or make this funny and go on a rant.

"Zach! You broke him. What did you do?" Adam accused, asking me a question I did not know the answer to. I broke Zach. That made total sense.

"How did I break Zach?" I asked him, crossing my arms over my chest and furrowing my eyebrows in slight frustration. His friend was acting strange and I was to blame? How did he even come up with that? How do you even get from 'my friends acting weird' to 'it must be my sister's fault'? Only Adam.

"He's being all mopey and sad and quiet and boring and sad," Adam answered, crossing his own arms over his chest. It was like we were doing one of those weird mirror exercises that they got you to do in drama or something but really, this was how our mom stood when she was mad and giving out to us so we must have just picked it up from here.  Anybody could tell that we were brother or sister now just by looking at us.