Chapter 19 - Fair Games

If there's one thing I love it's a good old fair. I just love the whole atmosphere that surrounds the place. It's like a fair just puts everyone in a giddy haze and makes everyone act like children. We can forget about everything going wrong in our lives. The bright, flashing lights, the loud, obnoxious music, the over priced food and even the obviously rigged carnival games. I just loved it all. It made me feel like a little kid again.

So when the fair came to town, I knew I was going to do whatever it took to get there. At first it was just Shauna and I going. But then I asked my mom and even though I was nearly eighteen, she said that since we were going at night, we had to bring an "adult". For once in my life, having an older sibling really came in handy. It took a lot of begging and pleading but Adam and Zach finally agreed they'd bring us.

"Come on," I urged, actually bouncing on the balls of my feet with excitement. I felt like that same little kid who had been so excited the first time that my parents brought me to this fair years and years ago. I grabbed Zach's hand and pulled him towards the entrance with me. It was hard since he was like twice the size of me but I still managed to make him stumble forward a few steps.

"Calm down El. I'm coming, I'm coming," Zach laughed, intertwining his hand with mine so our fingers were laced together. That small action alone sent butterflies through my stomach but I told myself they were probably just my excitement from going to the fair.

"You're so slow," I groaned jokingly, trying to make him walk faster but he only laughed at me and increased his pace by a bit. With an exaggerated sigh, I dropped his hand and bounced over to him. I reached up to his shoulder, basically hanging from him with my two hands looped around his neck. Zach's arm automatically went around my waist and the glint in his eyes made him look very confused.

"Yes Ellie?" Zach asked patiently but the grin tugging at the side of his lips told me that he was only messing with me by playing dumb.

"Please hurry up?" I asked nicely with as sweet a smile as I could muster with my impatience.

"I don't know..." Zach trailed off teasingly and then looked back at me with a grin. "Come on," he said to me, pulling me towards the entrance behind him. When we picked up our admittance wristbands, I reached up on my tip toes and kissed Zach's cheek with a huge smile on my face.

"Oh my gosh that's adorable," I cooed to Shauna when we saw the cutest little black teddy bear hanging as a prize for the ring toss.

"It so is," Shauna agreed, dragging her eyes away from a very hot guy walking past us. "Where are you going?" Shauna asked Zach who was walking away from our little group towards the ring toss.

"Dude you're actually going to play? Those things are rigged," Adam asked Zach with one eyebrow raised in question.

"Whatever man," Zach brushed him off and handed the man the money. Taking the rings off the man, he tried to win but missed two out of three.

"Told ya. Now come on," Adam laughed at Zach and turned to walk away. Shauna and I were about to follow but Zach stopped us all from leaving.

"No, I'm gonna win this," Zach insisted and the three of us just looked at him like he was crazy as he handed the man more of his money.

Three tries later, Zach finally managed to get all the rings.

"Dude. You actually did it," Adam said, sounding completely surprised that Zach had actually managed it. We all were. I was just surprised that Zach had been so persistent. He really wanted to win this game for some reason.

"What would you like?" The man asked Zach, motioning with his hand at the prizes.

"I'll take that one," Zach replied but I was talking to Shauna so I didn't see what he picked out till I felt an arm drape across my shoulders and a cute, little black teddy bear was suddenly in front of my face.