Chapter 29 - Reversal

There's this feeling that you get sometimes when you're just about to go asleep. You're drifting out of consciousness, your eyelids are heavy and your mind is racing with all those stupid things that worry you when you're trying to sleep. You can feel your mind going and you embrace the inky blackness behind your eyelids, ready to disappear from the world for the next few hours as you sleep.

The next thing you know, you're falling.

You're not actually falling and you know that but at the time, when you're falling in your sleep, you're actually falling. So you're jolted awake and your eyes fly open as you frantically look around you to make sure that you're sleep safe and sound in your bed. Then you can relax and go back to sleep.

The only problem was, when I felt like I was falling, I didn't wake up. I fell head first into that inky blackness that consumed me. I was just falling. I felt like Alice falling down the rabbit hole because it never seemed to stop. It just went on forever and ever. It just kept going.

Until it stopped and my eyes flew open to thankfully find myself in my bedroom again.

Only this time I wasn't alone.

"You finally figured it out!" The girl sitting cross-legged on the end of my bed exclaimed with a huge grin on her face. "I was wondering how long it would take for you to get it. I mean seriously it took weeks. I bumped it up a little hoping that you would figure it out. Subtlety isn't my speciality," the girl expanded with an airy laugh.

Sitting up slowly, I stared at the girl sitting on my bed. I knew I looked scared or at least wary, I could feel it in my eyes as I shuffled back as far as I could. I had had my fair share of weird over the past few weeks but this one definitely won. The girl's jet black hair was wavy and pinned back out of her face. Her dark skin looked flawless and her eyes were done up in a way that made them look so pretty but so natural at the same time. Her smile was lighting up her eyes and she was bouncing with excitement.

"Oh right!" She shouted, leaning forward with her hand extended. "I'm Alicia. Hi Ellie," she introduced and I gingerly took her hand to shake it but she shook it so enthusiastically she was shaking my arm not just my hand.

"Ooh I'm so glad we get to talk about this now! I've been waiting so long!" Alicia bubbled and I quickly snatched my hand back. This was way too weird for me and that was saying something. Alicia opened her mouth to start speaking but I had the feeling that if I let her start speaking it would be hard to get her to stop.

"Wait wait wait. Hold up. Okay you're Alicia. But you're in my room, on my bed and you know me but I've never even seen you before so who the heck are you?" I asked, crossing my arms across my chest and sitting up straighter. I was hoping I gave off my authority or something but I honestly doubted it.

"Oh right! Sorry. Yeah. I'm your fairy godmother!" Alicia exclaimed, opening her hands like she was about to do jazz hands with an ear splitting grin.

My jaw dropped and I stared at her before shaking my head. No way. No way. Just no way. "There's no way you're my fairy godmother. That's just...no," I refused, holding my hands out to stop her.

Alicia burst out laughing at me, her laughter ringing like bells around the room. "You actually believed me!" She laughed and had to take a few deep breaths to calm herself down. "No, I'm not your fairy godmother. I just grant wishes. Kind of like a freelance genie. There's me and a few others. We hear someone make a wish and if we like it, we decide to grant it. I heard you wishing that your life was like a book or a movie and I snapped it up," Alicia explained with a smile.

"So let me get this straight," I started, scrunching up my eyebrows as I tried to put together everything that was going through my head and everything that I was hearing. "So you're a freelance wish granter who heard me with that my life was like a book or a movie and you decided to grant it. So that's why everything has been so cliche? Because it was the wish that you granted? How much of it was the wish?" I asked her, looking down at my lap and then back up at her when I was finished.