Engineer x Reader II

You sit at the table with your head resting on your arms. You gaze out the window, your eyes fixed on the weather outside. Well, not really. Engineer is working outside in the cooler fall weather today. You watch as he stands up and looks at his creation in confusion.

               "Yo! Earth to weirdo! Do you copy?" Scout says, waving his hand in front of your face.

               "What? Sorry, Scout." You apologize. "The... leaves. The leaves are really... um… really pretty." You improvise.

               "Mm- hm. Yeah, okay, are you sure you just ain't staring at Engineer over there?"

               "What? No! What did you want to say?" You quickly change the subject.

               "I wanted to know if you wanted to go on a run with me later. The weather's gettin' cold, and this could be one of the last days to take a good one." He explained.

               "Well, actually, Scout, I promised to help Spy with some stuff. Maybe some other time, though." You refuse with a smile. He looks crestfallen.

               "Well, alright, then." Scout walks away. You feel bad, but you really did make a promise to Spy. You decide to go see if Engineer needs any help with his new sentry. You get up and race to where he's sitting on the grass, staring at his building. The machine seemed to be responding, beeping and looking at his hand when he moved it around.

               "Hey, Engi!" You greet the Texan. He yelps in terror and falls backward away from you, spilling a box of metal all over the partially green grass.

               "You're sneaky," He comments when he stands up.

               He is really short. He has to look up at you to lock your gaze with his. He's taken his hat off, exposing his smooth head. You know that he wears his... glasses? Goggles? Goggles. You know that he wears his goggles whenever he is working to protect his eyes. Actually, he always wears his goggles. His single glove is also off so he can work easier.

               "I'll take that as a compliment."

               "You can. Hey, I um... wanted to show ya somethin'. Could ya maybe meet me by the lake tomorrow mornin'?" He asks shyly.

               "Of course I can!" You agree. "You know that." He smiles.

               "Alrighty, then. You um... wanna see this?" He says, nodding to his sentry. You shrug.

               "Fine with me."

               "Great!"

               The next day, you wake up, feeling like a million bucks. You yawn and stretch, pulling yourself out of bed to do your routine morning things. Routine, routine, routine. Then you remember Engineer, and how he wanted to meet you this morning. Without breakfast, you rush outside and run all the way to the lake. You stop when it is in sight, looking around for Engineer. You see him a ways off, playing his guitar softly. He has a blanket on the ground with various foods around it. Breakfast foods, you realize with a growl of your belly. You bolt over to him and stand on the edge of the blanket, smiling. He finishes playing and looks up. You smile.

               "Wow, Engineer. This is amazing." You breathe.

               "You can sit if ya like." He offers. You gladly take a spot near where you are standing, almost reluctant to ruin the beautiful scene he's placed out. "Do you... like it?" He asks nervously.

               "Like it? I love it. It's beautiful." You tell him. His face perks up. He looks at the brightening sky, toward the sunrise.

               "Look, here's what I wanted you to see." He takes your hands and stands you up, facing you toward the lake. "I come out here every day to see this." Suddenly, the entire lake becomes as red as blood. You realize that it's reflecting the sunrise, and are awestruck. You see many beautiful colors- red, pink, scarlet, orange, yellow... all mixed into one beautiful color with no name.

               "Oh my... it's... I have no words to describe it. So this is really the reason you trek out here every day?" You ask, not taking your eyes off the shimmering water. Engineer nods.

               "Yep. Sure is a beauty, huh?" You nod.

               "Absolutely." You take a step away from him, wanting to walk out onto the water and touch it. Your brain then tells you that it's a very bad idea, so you stay where you are standing, but you can't help imagining what that would be like. "Wow."

               “Yeah, it’s pretty great. Just like you.” You halt. Did Engi just say what you sincerely hope he just said?

               “What?” You pretend like you didn’t hear what he said.

               “Look, I… really… see, I… um… I really…” You didn’t give him a chance to finish. You have already pulled him close.

               “It’s okay.” You whisper. You see a flash of relief cross his face. You pull him closer and your lips meet. At first, you sense his shock, but as the seconds pass, he relaxes and goes with it. After a few moments more, you pull away from him. “Say we eat that food before it spoils?” You suggest. He nods.

               “Sounds like a plan.”