Chapter 1

The Fate of the Crown

There in the golden Royal Carriage sat Princess Charlotte, better known as The Princess Royal. Despite the constant sound of the horses' gallop and the short conversations her guards shared every now and then, birds still flying around me singing, sweetly high, the chorus as playful as the birds themselves. With closed eyes, she imagines their melody to be colours, painting stairs in the same way grapevines grow, this way and that, in a beautiful chaos that isn't quite random. If the carriage was not moving so much, she would have enjoyed having her sketchbook and her pencil in hand to keep herself occupied. Instead, she spent the entire time in silence, with the sound of nature keeping her company.

For what seemed like an eternity later, she finally arrived in London. The people who saw the Golden Royal Carriage immediately thought of the Princess' return.

People started calling her name, and others approached the carriage. The Princess ordered her guards to slow down so as to avoid hurting anyone. She took off the curtains the carriage had, so she could have a better look at her people.

Everyone exclaimed how happy they were for her return, and how she was deeply missed by them. The Princess Royal was the only member in the Royal Family that has been seen more in public. Unlike the rest of her family, she has visited orphanages, has distributed food, covers during the winter, and has stopped by many villages just to do a formal visit...in the name of the Crown, of course, as a representation of her whole family, the whole monarchy.

Despite the Queen's protests, Charlotte didn't like to wear much jewelry on her visits, not because of fear of getting robbed, but because she knew not many could even come close to having the same privileges or experiences as her. So, to express her empathy, her respect, or simply her humility, she would visit those places with a dress approved by the Queen, but without her tiaras, necklaces, earrings or rings. Charlotte had no idea if it influenced somehow, but to her, it simply felt like the right thing to do.

"Oh, Princess!" Some of them would exclaim.

"Princess Charlotte!" Others exclaimed her name.

"Your Royal Highness!" Others exclaimed her title.

Charlotte's shoulders were exposed and her brunette hair was styled upwards with delicate flowers around its bun. Her lips were naturally tinted pink, and her skin was flawless. The Princess Royal had the deepest blue eyes. Her smile would melt all humanity's hearts, and when she flashed her pearly white teeth, she would light up an entire room. Her voice was every bit as beautiful as her glamour.

The Princess waved gracefully and smiled at her people. She would wish them good health for themselves and their families and greet them respectfully with nods. She wanted to get off her carriage and be there with them, but she promised Martin, her personal guard, that she would be careful if people approached like this. She could lean closer to the window, smile and wave, but could not stop or get out of the carriage. Of course, for her own safety. Martin and Fatima, one of her lady's maids, were in a...less striking carriage behind hers. 

No one knew of her return, so her friends and family were certainly getting a surprise today and tomorrow.

She was back just in time for this year's social season. A series of events Charlotte was not waiting eagerly for emotional and personal reasons. The social season refers to the traditional annual period when it is customary for members of a social elite of society to hold balls, dinner parties and charity events. And for the first time in many years, a Princess was to make an appearance as a debutant.