Chapter 3

Brother & Sister

Bridgerton House, London

Before noon, the Princess paid a visit to the Bridgertons. Mainly to wish Daphne luck on her debut tomorrow. Anthony and Eloise were each reading a book in different couches, Francesca and Colin were playing with Hyacinth and Gregory with the Wooden Quoits, while Benedict, Charlotte, and Violet sat on the couch, listening to Daphne practicing on the piano.

Eventually, Benedict's hand brushed against hers, and the two nervously made eye contact. A nervous smile graced his face, while Charlotte's cheeks reddened, and a small smile slowly grew on her face.

"Char," Daphne called for her once she stopped playing, making her break eye contact with Benedict to look at her. "Would you like to play?"

"Thought you'd never ask," she stood up from the couch and walked towards Daphne.

"Which one would you like?" She asked as she stood to look for the manuscripts.

"Actually, I memorized one a friend taught me," Charlotte sat in front of the pianoforte.

After taking a deep breath, the Princess started playing The Piano Sonata No. 14, by Ludwig van Beethoven.

The Princess' mind was invaded by thoughts, of the social season, of her family, and of her future. And she expressed it all through art. She would sketch, to keep her mind busy, and play the piano, to ease her thoughts.

It amazed her that once she finished playing, it all stopped and came back to her. Everything that went away with the music, came back once the music was gone.

She lightly jumped at the sound of applause, looked to her right, and saw the Bridgertons clapping, with a proud smile on their faces.

"Which friend taught you this sonata?" Colin asked. "Is he British? Do we know him?"

"Oh, no, Colin. I'm afraid you do not know him," she stood up casually to give the chair back to Daphne. "His name is Ferdinand...he is the King of Spain."

"The King of Spain?" Daphne looked at her with wide eyes.

"How is he a friend of yours?" Anthony asked with a frown.

"We met years ago when I visited Spain with the Queen and the Prince Regent," she explained. "He is around your age, I believe."

"That is...great," Anthony started with a forced smile.

"Spain is going through a rough time at the moment, so I just went there for a few days. Not many people knew I was there. I was 'incognito'," she said and chuckled drily. "Although right now, Spain, Portugal and the United Kingdom are having quite the conflict with France."

"So I've heard," Colin nodded.

"I did not remember you were so skilled in the piano," Francesca remarked.

"Is that a requirement for Princesses now?" Eloise asked, and revived a hit on her arm and a glare from Francesca at her bluntness.

"When you say it like that it sounds ridiculous, but yes," Charlotte chuckled. "Believe it or not, El, us princesses do not just smile and wave all the time."