Chapter 25

The Mad King

Westminster Abbey, London

A Friday morning, at the Church where the future Duke and Duchess of Strathearn were going to get married, were the Princess, her Private Secretary, the Queen, the Prince Regent, all the Bridgertons, including the Duke and Duchess of Hastings, with the Archbishop of Canterbury.

At the moment, Thomas was with Benedict and Charlotte discussing a few details of the ceremony.

"Alright, I have written down the songs to be sing at the ceremony. Now, there is a well known soprano here in London, Miss Siena Rosso," Thomas explained. Anthony's head immediately snapped in the direction of the Private Secretary, and the Viscount received a brooding glare from his mother. "Miss Rosso will lead 'God Save the King', as the rest of the people in the church sing as well. After that, His and Her Royal Highness will walk out of the Church, and to the carriage."

"Alright," Charlotte nodded.

"Now, about the bridesmaids and your pageboy..." Thomas spoke directly to Charlotte, who only nodded and the two walked away towards the Bridgerton girls, and Gregory.

Benedict stayed behind and remembered he had to ask his brother to be his supporter. He wanted to ask Anthony, whom despite everything, has always been there whenever he needs him...whether it is to talk, or just to pass the time.

He suddenly remembered the night he was slapped in the face by the duel, and how there was a possibility for him to become the man of the house, the Viscount Bridgerton. He was terrified of the fact of losing Anthony, but it was also a moment that connected them in the strangest of ways.

That was something Benedict deep down never wanted. To lose his brother.

He also remembered the day he found Anthony alone with Charlotte in his office. Benedict was not the jealous type, or at least he thought he was not, until that day. And specially since Anthony admitted to him his feelings for her.

But he was his brother. There was no way he could held him any resentment for that, or anything. And more importantly...he didn't want to walk down the isle of the church without his brother by his side.

"Anthony," the Viscount turned around at the mention of his name. "Can I talk to you for a second?"

"Of course," he nodded and the two walked a bit far from the two families to speak. "What is it?"

"Do you still love her?" He blurted out the question.

"What?" Anthony frowned and shifted uncomfortably where he stood. "You mean Charlotte?"

"Of course I mean her. Who else would I mean?" He sighed. "I just... There is something I want you to be, and I...do not want you to feel uncomfortable."

"You can ask anything of me, Brother," he placed a hand on his shoulder. "Absolutely anything. It is your wedding. I will do anything for you."

"Thank you," he nodded, with a small smile. "But..."

Then, he thought of Colin. The eldest of his youngest brothers. The one he was spent most time with since Anthony became the Viscount. He couldn't left him out.

And one last thought crossed his mind... If Charlotte could have all his sisters as her bridesmaids, why could he not have all his two brothers as his 'supporter'?

"Colin," Benedict called for him too. He excused himself from his conversation with George and walked towards his two brothers.

"What is it?" Colin asked once he arrived to their side. "Is everything alright, Brother?"