Chapter 12

A Masterpiece

I have always thought that in appreciation of the arts is what lifts us beyond mere animals. It stirs the passions and moves the spirit, and, this author hopes, inspires more newsworthy pursuits.

A new wing at Somerset House is to be opened today, where several attractions will be on display...like the lovely Miss Marina Thompson, newly recovered from her mysterious illness and expected to finally rejoin the season.

Of course, there is today's Royal attraction as well, Prince Friedrich of Prussia. His Highness has come to our shores in what of a fine Fräulein. Could this be the reason a certain language tutor has been seen visiting Cowper House all week?

It has caught this author's attention, that if Her Royal Highness The Princess Royal is not engaged by the end of the season, she is to marry her first cousin. Prince Friedrich. How bizarre! Is our King George's insanity contagious? Because it certainly appears Her Majesty The Queen has gone mad.

Somerset House, London

Charlotte and Friedrich shared a carriage, and after a half an hour, finally arrived at the gallery. He hopped down first, then offered his cousin a hand, and helped her down.

Before they could walk inside the building, Friedrich was surrounded by young ladies who begged for his attention.

"Your Royal Highness," she recognize the voice of the man who approached her with his usual charming smirk. She looked at him and chuckled. "You look rather lovely this evening."

"Thank you, Your Grace. As always, you look breathtakingly handsome," she said, and he smiled. "Have desperate mamas already approached you yet?"

"Thankfully, no, they have not," he looked briefly at Friedrich before looking at her again. "I know you are no damsel in distress, but I can tell right now you need a man's rescue."

"Anyone's rescue, for that matter. But it seems my luck never fails me, for my rescuer is the one and only, Duke of Hastings," she smirked. "Shall we head inside and escape from ambitious mamas and desperate young ladies for my cousin's attention?"

"I could not have said it better myself," he nodded at her, and then nodded in greeting at the guard behind her. "Good evening, Martin."

"Good evening, Your Grace," Martin nodded back.

Simon and Charlotte two locked arms and made their way to the Somerset House. People stated at them, and started whispering things, not being at all discreet.

"The last thing I need is for you to join Lady Whistledown's list of who will court me," she stated. "Even my cousin is in that list."

"I will be with you until the Bridgertons arrive, and then, you will be with...whichever of them, and I will join Miss Bridgerton," he said and she nodded with a smile.

"Speaking of Miss Bridgerton, how is she?" She asked and looked at him. "And your...arrangement."

"It's going...quite well," he said with a small smile. "It is going better than I thought it would."

"Oh, I see," she smirked. "It appears feelings have awoken between the two of you, Your Grace."

"Feelings?" He scoffed. "There is no such thing as 'feelings'."