Chapter 22

Kensington Palace

Miss Marina Thompson's recent fall from grace continues to echo through every drawing room in town, days after it was revealed her engagement to Colin Bridgerton was nothing more than a sham.

Of course, a lady's disgrace does not merely tarnish her own name. Like the tars of the Thames, it also leaves a horrid smear on anyone nearby.

While there is no parasol in the world strong enough to shelter a ruined woman, the fallen Miss Thompson can only hope she shall find refuge...somewhere.

Bridgerton House, London

"Charlotte!" Hyacinth ran towards her, with Gregory following behind her. "I did not know you were coming today."

"What are you doing here?" Gregory asked.

"Eloise is out with Mama, Francesca is not here yet, Colin is locked in his room, Anthony is in his study, and Benedict..." She continued, and shrugged. "In his room, I suppose."

"I hope he is getting ready to leave with me to the palace. We need to—

"To a palace? Can we go?" Hyacinth asked as she jumped with excitement. "Please, Charlotte! Please!"

"I am sure he would not mind us there," Gregory added casually, but his excitement was too obvious.

"Oh, of course you can come! I'm sure he will not mind," Charlotte chuckled as the two siblings nodded and immediately ran upstairs. Coincidentally, Benedict was walking down the stairs.

"Hey! No running on the stairs!" He exclaimed as his two youngest siblings rushed past him. "What is going on with those two?"

"They are just happy," she chuckled.

"And I am ready," he nodded, but Charlotte stopped him by placing a hand on his chest. "Are we not going anymore?"

"We are, but we must to wait for Gregory and Hyacinth," she explained with a smile. "They wanted to come."

"That is really kind of you, Char," he wrapped his arm around her shoulder and brought her into a side-hug as she wrapped both of her arms around his waist.

"You should invite Colin," she added, and he sighed. "Hyacinth said he was locked in his room."

"He is trying to avoid certain people," he said. "And by certain people, I mean Anthony and my mother."

"Why your mother?" She asked.

"She is too hurt by what happened," he sighed. "And Anthony is just praying for something to kill the scandal."

"I'm sorry," she looked up at him. "Is there anything I can do to help?"

"Not having a child with another man would be a good start," he tried to sound serious, but his snort gave it away.

Charlotte gasped in disbelief and pushed herself away from him while he laughed.

"Come on, I was joking," he tried to reach for her hand, but she walked away. "Where are you going?"