I Think We Need a Break

After I was finally finished and had nothing left in my stomach to throw up, I laid back down until the room stopped spinning.

"Why do I always drink too much?" I asked out loud but wasn't actually expecting an answer.

"You didn't drink too much." I could hear his voice but didn't open my eyes to see where he was.

"Oh yeah? Then why do I feel like absolute shit right now?" I countered.

"I'll explain after you drink this." I opened my lids barely to see he was offering me a glass of water and sat up so I could take it from him. The coolness soothing to my burning throat.

He sat on the edge of the bed, watching me with a strange concerned look on his face.

Finally he spoke. "What is the last thing you remember from yesterday?"

Yesterday? YESTERDAY?!

"Woa, wait. What time is it? If I miss work ag-" I tried to get out of bed quickly and search for my phone but Kai put an arm out to stop me.

"Don't worry. I've already called out for you. Someone named Lacey answered. She says 'get well soon'. Now, yesterday-"

I quickly cut him off. "You can't just do that, Kai. At this rate I could lose my job and then I'll be really fucked. You had no right!" My fast growing frustration was making me tear up in my eyes.

"Evelyn, you've been asleep since five o'clock yesterday. I don't think you would be able to handle a full shift."

I sat there in stunned silence. I tried to look at the clock behind him and saw it was already ten in the morning.

I somehow managed to sleep for over twelve hours?!

"What happened to me?" I asked hesitantly, already knowing that I didn't want an answer.

"We went to the club. I had to leave you for a moment to take care of business and the next thing I knew, you were being taken away by some guy."

I remember all of that so far.

"Yeah, the fox." I mumbled out loud. Kai's brow quirked up. I quickly corrected myself. "It's nothing. Never mind. He bought me a drink-"

"Which we believe he drugged." Kai finished for me.

Excuse me?!?

"Drugged? Like the date rape kind? Like, like I was..." I started shaking just thinking about what that man might've possibly done to me when I didn't even realize it.

"No, no no. I stopped him. He never got the chance to hurt you." He spoke quickly seeing the look of disgust and fear on my face.

"Still. Why would he do that anyways? What kind of sick-"

"You don't want to think about this any further, Evie. It'll only make you feel sicker. You're safe now and that's what matters, I swear." He had scooted closer to me on the bed and placed a warm hand on my knee.

I moved away from his touch.

"It shouldn't have happened in the first place Kai. That's beyond fucked up. You realize that, right?"

I forced myself to look away from his hurt expression.

"Yes, it is, but it happens more than you think. More than you could ever know about." He said this like I was just supposed to accept how lucky I got.

"No! That's not okay! That is messed up. Just because it happens more than I think it does, doesn't make it okay. Doesn't mean I can just live with that knowledge. It's not right."