Urgency

I was going hysterical now.

Crying uncontrollably.

"Kai! Please wake up! Kai!" I was yelling over and over, shaking his unmoving body, willing him to hear me.

"You can't leave me now. Please." I begged him, laying my head down on his chest, praying for a miracle.

I heard footsteps running towards the library and looked up.

Roy and Ian, bloodied but mostly uninjured stared at me in shock.

They ran towards me, Ian wearing a hoodie which he quickly stripped off himself and handed it to me.

I had completely forgotten that I was laying half naked on top of Kai and that my dress was ripped.

I accepted the offer, quickly turning my back to the guys and tried to get the sleeves of my dress back on before putting on Ian's hoodie. It felt warm from Ian's body heat but was sprinkled all over with blood. I looked back to see Roy and Ian trying desperately to wake up Kai.

I sniffled, trying to get the tears to stop but couldn't.

I started shivering, I think it's the after effects of when you loose that adrenaline rush?

"We're gonna have to get him to a hospital. Now." Ian was saying, checking out the wounds on Kai.

"Yeah but if we call, they're not gonna make it on time," Roy said, then both of them looked at each other, then at me. Roy quickly dug around in his pocket for something.

He pulled out a set of car keys.

"Evie, I'm sorry but we really need you to go get the car and meet us out front." He said to me, as if I wouldn't be willing to do everything I can.

I snatched them from his hand, "I'll be there." And quickly started running for the door. At the last minute I turned around just as they were starting to prepare Kai to be lifted and carried out between the two of them. "Please be careful." I told them.

Ian nodded solemnly.

I turned back and ran.

The hallway ended, the stairs were luckily right in front of me, all I had to do was-

Bodies. Several of them splayed out everywhere.

How could I miss such carnage and not hear a thing?

I don't ponder too much on it, the guys are depending on me to go get the car. I ran downstairs, heading straight for the open doorway, ignoring the pain of splinters and god knows what else pricking the bottoms of my feet.

I didn't see any cars when I got out front. A crisp cold night wind blew through me, chilling my entire body and whipping the bottom of my dress around.

I looked down at the key fob, spotting the alarm button and mashing it over and over, my ears on high alert for when I could hear the cars alarm going off.

They had parked a couple blocks away but I finally made it, jumping in the drivers side, too worried to care about a seat belt and floored it back to the warehouse.

I made it just in time, Roy and Ian just cleared the last step on the stairs, maneuvering around the dead men surrounding us. I left the key in the ignition, opening up the back door and climbing inside so I could help lift Kai's body into the back seat.

They managed to get him halfway into the car, I struggled lifting him under his shoulders and pulled him the rest of the way, gently laying his head in my lap. Roy got in the drivers seat and Ian rushed around the back to get to the passenger side.