What To Get

Evie's POV

Kai rushed me outside where I felt like I could finally breathe.

Carisi. Carisi? THE Carisi family.

And Kai's a part of that family. Kai is a Carisi.

I was still silently freaking out in my mind when Kai's voice cut through the chaos of my thoughts.

"- be another like twenty minutes so we might as well take my car."

I didn't respond.

"Evie? Sweetheart?"

Finally I snapped back to reality. I shook my head before replying to him. "I'm sorry. I wasn't listening."

Kai was leading me to a smaller building around the back of the warehouse and lifted the gate to reveal a row of cars inside.

"I said it will take Roy a while to get here. So instead of waiting for him, I'll just drive us. Are you sure you're okay?" He asked again but honestly I wasn't so sure.

Even if you somehow lived under a rock your whole life there's always a guarantee that you'll still hear about The Carisi family somehow, somewhere. The rumors and facts of their family's crimes border on outrageous and insanity. It was always hard to tell which things actually happened and which were crazy stories spread to keep up with the simple idea that you don't fuck with anyone from that family. Some of the ones I had heard were of assassinations of very public and well known politicians and bribing entire police precincts. Very serious business.

"Yeah, I think I will be. Eventually." I mumbled.

I followed his lead without paying attention and he brought me in front of a red car that looked like one of those Fast and Furious movie cars. It looked fast. And probably something I could never name or even begin to understand the complexities under its hood.

Like a GTFO360 deluxe booster bottle rocket type shit.

Kai held the passenger door open for me and I climbed in and the seat sat very low. I might as well be sitting on the ground. And watched Kai walk around to the drivers seat and got in.

He started the car up which made a growling noise like it was alive and pulled out of the garage and off we went back to my apartment.

We were on the highway and I was still having flashbacks from Kai's apartment when something clicked in my brain.

'Our birthday.' OUR birthday? Who? Glen and Kai's?

"Uh hey, did your brother say both of your birthdays was coming up in two weeks?" I looked over at Kai who kept his focus strictly on the road.

"Yeah. Glen and I were born on the same day. Our father makes us share a party every year."

"Oh... so... do you not want me to go?" I asked keeping my voice low.

His hands tightened their grip on the wheel.

"It's not like that. Glen's parties, I feel like they're not really something you would be into going. They're always over extravagant and over crowded with people I don't really care to hang out with. I'd rather stay in anyways." He said.

Or he doesn't want his friends to see him with me.

I didn't say anything else for the rest of the car ride.

We reached my apartment building. Everything outside looked exactly the same, as if last night with the cops and flashing lights and caution tape everywhere never happened.