Last Day

"What do you mean?" Lawrence asked me to clarify.

"How hard is it for you to understand? I want out. Live my own life."

"Why? For that girl?" He asked.

"As a matter of fact." I replied because I didn't care anymore about holding back my feelings. This was going to be the last time I see him, might as well get all the nitty gritty shit out in the open.

"I can't let you do that son."

"Don't call me son. Don't ever call me anything ever again. I already told you I'm out."

"It's not that easy and you know it Kai. Or have you forgotten the code? More specifically the part where it says any member that tries to leave will be executed?"

He wouldn't.

"You wouldn't. You can't. You haven't even been active in years, there's no way. I'd stop you." I challenged him.

"You're right, and I wouldn't want to. The thought of killing my own flesh and blood..." his shoulders drooped. "But I can't stop other members from doing it. So please son, reconsider. Give up on the girl. She can't be worth it, your life."

"That's where you're wrong. She is worth it. She's so much better than me, she makes me want to actually try and do better. And that's what I'm going to do. Become a better man for her, so I suggest you get used to it."

"Kai, Evelyn-"

"Don't say her name. Don't ever say her name. You have no right. I don't want you to taint her with your filth." I snapped.

Lawrence looked at me, like he was deeply saddened but yet he understood me in some way.

"Alright, I'll go check on Glen and come back later. Please reconsider Kai. I promise if you change your mind, I'll promote you, give you more free range, anything you want. Please think about it before you make a final decision." My father stood up from his chair, heading for the door. He turned around to look at me one last time but I ignored him.

I've already decided and nothing is going to change my mind.

Evie's POV

I sat alone in the cafeteria. A single cup of coffee sitting on the table in my hands. I haven't even touched it yet, it's probably cold by now.

Lawrence came back again, every time I've seen him lately I'm always surprised he showed up to visit.

On that night, when I was sitting in the hospital room, bloodied and still wearing my ruined dress with Ian's hoodie over, Lawrence came into the room the first time, startling me.

I had just been checked out by doctors, nothing broken thankfully, but definitely bruised and bloodied, my face taking the worse of it but no surgeries were needed.

I had to lie to the doctors and tell them Kai was my husband just so they would let me stay with him. Probably stupid on my part but I felt desperate.

Then he came in, the nurse announcing to me that my father in law was here. My jaw dropped in shock, I wasn't prepared to be caught in my lie so soon. But as soon as the strange man walked into the room and saw me, saw the sadness in my eyes, he didn't expose me.

"Hello, dear." He said, greeting me as if I actually were his daughter in law. He took the seat on the other side of the bed.

"Um, hi." I said nervously, waiting for the nurse to finish her vitals check on Kai and leave.