Stay With Me

Even if I never heard that voice again for years I would still be able to pick it out of a crowd.

Kai sneaking up behind me startled me so much I jumped from fright.

At the same time, Detective Ramirez and I turned to look at him.

Kai was looking straight at me.

"Hey," he said softly.

"Hi." I responded back happily despite the tears I was still shedding for Mrs. Kratz.

We both looked at each other silently, enjoying this reunion. Or at least I was.

"Uh huh. And you are...?" Detective Ramirez asked, drawing the question out and breaking our connection.

Kai gave her a side eye, sizing her up. "A friend." Was all he said.

"Riiight." Then she turned to me. "Miss. Crane. I can take you to the hotel here in a couple minutes if you'd like. So you don't have to go with... him." She returned the side eye glare back at Kai.

"Oh, well, I think I'll be okay. I think." I looked to Kai for reassurance. He gave me a tiny smile and nodded.

"Yeah, she'll be fine with me." He said.

"Okay, well, I just need you to go give your finger prints to the forensics team over there," she indicated to two men standing in my kitchen nook.

"My fingerprints?" I asked.

"Yeah, it's so they can cross reference with any foreign prints they might find and cross yours off."

Yeah that makes sense I guess.

"Oh, okay," I looked back at Kai. "Will you wait for me?" I asked.

"Of course."

"Good." I nodded to myself and was guided around the main crime scene area to my kitchen to get printed. It took all of three minutes and afterwards I was back at the entryway ready to leave.

"Oh, wait. Detective?" I said.

Detective Ramirez turned to me. "Yes?"

"What about my stuff? Can I take some clothes?"

"Unfortunately not right now. Until they're done inspecting every inch of this place, we have to assume everything is evidence. Sorry. I'll let you know as soon as I know that you can get some things." She came over and took out a card to hand to me. "And if you need anything or if you can think of anything that might be of any use, please don't hesitate to call. I don't care what time it is."

I took the card and tucked it in my purse.

"Thanks." I said and wiped my face away of the last tears I shed.

Kai gingerly put a hand on my shoulder to escort me out of my home.

How can I possibly live here after this is all over? And why would anyone hurt Mrs. Kratz?

All the times I thought she was a little bit annoying or overbearing or overstepping boundaries came up and I felt terrible for thinking them. The tears started up again.

Kai got us into the elevator where we were alone for the first time in a couple months.

"Are you okay? You weren't hurt were you?" He asked.

I sniffled. "No, I wasn't even home. I don't even know what happened!" My voice shook and raised uncontrollably.

He quickly enveloped me in his arms and held me tight. "Hey, it's okay," he rubbed my back soothingly. Trying to coo me into relaxation.