You Shouldn't Have

Kai's POV

I fucked up. Real bad.

This is why I don't like to sleep, let alone try to sleep at someone else's place where my nightmares can show up any moment and ruin everything.

Seeing that terrified look on Evie's face hurt physically. Her neck was already beginning to redden where my hands were wrapped tightly around.

My swollen cheek was stinging where she left her handprint on it, the cuts her nails left on my arms were bleeding a little but that was the least of my worries.

I tried to keep cool. I had no right to be mad or blame her when she asked me to leave. Hell, if she had asked me for money I would gladly give her all the cash in my pocket if I knew it would bring a smile back to her beautiful face.

She wouldn't meet my gaze and that hurt more than I thought it would.

I grabbed my shit, pulling my pants on quickly so I could give her the space she needs right now. The space that I need also.

She probably didn't think I could hear her but when she whispered 'I'm sorry' I had to fight all my urges to rush over and hold her.

"Don't be. I'm gonna go. You get some rest. I'll lock up after myself." I kept my back to her, unable to trust myself completely yet to keep my hands to myself.

Her sweet voice called out again. "Will I see you tomorrow? Or ever?" I smiled to myself, the cut on my lip reopening a little. I licked the blood off. Chuckling to myself. She never ceases to amaze me.

Finally, I turned around to face her.

"Yeah, I'll see you tomorrow, Sweetheart." I leaned in close, prepared to kiss her if she would let me. I wasn't surprised when she turned her face to avoid being kissed on the lips, so I swiftly landed a soft peck on her warm cheek instead.

I threw my shirt on, not bothering with the buttons and headed for the door, making sure to lock it after.

I made my way to the elevator, pulling my phone out and texting Roy to come get me.

He was outside with the car by the time I made it out of Evie's apartment building.

"Hey boss. Woa, what happened?" He was trying not to laugh at my injuries that he must've already heard the news about from someone else. "She beat you up when you tried to stick it in her a-" I reached out so fast, sucker punching him in his chest. He started coughing, holding himself where I landed the hard blow.

"Shut it." I got in the back seat, rubbing my temples gingerly, still finding new sore spots on my face.

Roy got in the drivers seat. "Home now? Or...?"

"Yeah. But in a couple hours, you're gonna need to get me again. I've got a couple errands to run."

"Uh, actually boss. I was kinda hoping that after what happened tonight, maybe you-" he was fidgeting with the steering wheel cover, avoiding my gaze.

"Nothing happened tonight. And if it did, you're smart enough to not ask stupid fucking questions, right?" I cut him off, sending a message to an acquaintance, telling them to open up early tomorrow.

"Oh, okay. But I mean, still. I just thought maybe it might not be a bad idea to take the day off? You know, relax?"

"Calm your tits, Roy. I'm taking the day off. But I've still got shit I need to get done." I finished the text and put my phone up. Finally, giving him my full attention. He looked back at me through the rearview mirror. "Now, shut the fuck up. Take me home, and make sure you come get me at six sharp. Okay?"